PDA

View Full Version : Maya trajectories... not ghosting. How to?

Lokihaus
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
I've tried posting this twice... don't know why I can't see my posts, or find them after posting... let me try this in this forum.

Trying to get a "trajectories" like Max has, in Maya. I know about ghosting, but I find Maya's ghosting to be intrusive and not really what I want. Does anyone know of a script that'll give an animated object or nurbs controller a trajectory?

testing, 1, 2...3

Lokihaus
10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey look! It finally worked! =) Anyway, I know about AnimPath 1.0 scrtip, and it still doesn't work like I'd like it to... plus it doesn't seem to work on nurbs controllers, only joints. So I'm really hoping someone can tell me where I can get a script to show real trajectories.

Thanks!

Segmoria
10-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I suppose you have already tried the Create Motion Trail through the "Animate" menu.Not the exact Max-like trajectories but its the closest similar feature thats native in Maya.

Lokihaus
10-20-2005, 03:16 AM
I suppose you have already tried the Create Motion Trail through the "Animate" menu.Not the exact Max-like trajectories but its the closest similar feature thats native in Maya.

actually, ya know, I didn't know about the motion trails. I tried making one, but it didn't work. Can it work on anything moving withine Maya? I did a test with a hand controller in a generi rig moving left to right... clicked the properties of that motion trail and tried to get it to work, but I believe it was giving me an error in the lower rt corner....

"Warning: Cycle on 'generi_orient_neck_orientConstraint1.constraintRotateX' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)"

do you know what this is in context to? Thanks for your help, though... maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning. =)

gilley
10-20-2005, 06:09 AM
posted in the main maya forum too.....

I too have had to switch to Maya at my new job. I totally agree with you. Max's trajectories are by FAR better than Maya's. In Maya, they're called Motion Trails, it'll be in the Animate menu.

The problem I've found with Maya's Motion Trails are they're super slow compared to Max's. For an object further down the hierarchy, it can take a couple seconds to compute. In Max, the trajectories are instantaneous and they update in real time as you move your object around. Also if an object doesn't have any keyframes on it but still moves around (parented to something) the Motion Trail will not update. Maya's Motion Trails also do not have the little "white dots" on every frame, it shows the frame numbers outside of the line. These little white dots are important to see your ease-ins ease outs for a given keyframe. You can still see your ease-ins, etc in Maya it's just not as good IMHO.

I made a really ghetto script last weekend that simulates MAX's trajectories in Maya. What I did was make it create two motion trails, one with the "spline" option and one with the "ticks" option. I set my normal Motion Trails color to red, then set my User Defined color 8 to be white. Then my script colors the 2nd Motion Trail to User Defined #8(Window/Settings and Prefs/Colors). This script works on whatever object you have selected, and you can't select multiple objects and run this, you have to choose each object one at a time(I told you it was ghetto). If the object selected already has a Motion Trial, it will delete it. This essentially makes a toggle trajectories for a given object. Here's the script if you want to use it......

string $selected[1] = `ls -sl`;

string $MTname = $selected[0] + "MT";

string $MThandle = $MTname + "Handle";

string $MTname2 = $selected[0] + "MT" + "1" + "Handle";

if( `objExists $MTname` )

{

delete $MThandle;

delete $MTname2;

}

else

{

doMotionTrail 1 { "snapshot -motionTrail 1 -name $MTname -increment 1 -constructionHistory 1 -startTime `playbackOptions -query -min` -endTime `playbackOptions -query -max`", "line", "0", "animCurve"};

doMotionTrail 1 { "snapshot -motionTrail 1 -name $MTname -increment 1 -constructionHistory 1 -startTime `playbackOptions -query -min` -endTime `playbackOptions -query -max`", "point", "0", "animCurve"};

color -ud 8 $MTname2;

}

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2005, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.