PDA

View Full Version : Painting weights on obscured faces, how?

peteb
10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Ok I've got a problem probably a real simple answer but I'm not too hot with Maya so haven't got a clue how.

I've got a character who's wearing a cap. His cap will sometimes be removed but this is for a game engine so it will be removed in code. For the animation his cap has to be part of the same mesh. I've got to paint Weights onto the top of his head that's hidden by the cap. How can I get to these faces. If i seperate the cap and do it, as soon as I attach it again I'll lose the weights as I have to re-bind. Will saving out weightmaps work? I've just thought of that by the way I wasn't being lazy, I'll go and try that now. But in the meantime if any of you guys know it would help.
I can't believe that Maya doesn't just have a simple hide faces button. I tried using the isolate faces but you can't get paint weight maps to work when in this mode.
Any suggestions?

pete B

Dichotomy
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
there's a couple ways that you could do this. Maya does has an "isolate selected" option under the view menu. Just select the faces of the head and isolate select, that will hide the rest of the mesh and you should be able to paint the head faces.

You could also do it manually by selecting the verticies and punching in the numbers in the component editor (I usually do them this way. It is precise and you can still see the rest of your mesh).

peteb
10-19-2005, 04:22 PM
the Isolate faces doesn't work in that you can obviously display the faces you want but the paint weights doesn't work when you do this it doens't paint on them for some reason.

Just been looking at the component window but can't figure out how to use it. I've selected the vertices I want and then opened the component window, where do I go from there. I basically want to change the weightmap their using at the moment to another one and set the new weight map to 1. I can see boxes to change the value but I can't see how you change the weight map.

Pete B

malcolmTG
10-19-2005, 06:02 PM
the value of every weighted vert is on a scale of 0-1. so in the component editor it should be showing a row across the top with all your joints and a colum with your verts. (i could have that backwards cause i dont have maya open right now) whenever you change the value on unlocked verts its switches the weights around here. so if you want a group of verts to follow just the head joint then you select those verts and find the correct joint and set it to 1 for those.

in response to your first question what i always do to see faces that are hidden is open up the attribute editor for the camera im looking through and extend the near clip plane out further than its currently set to. this makes it to where as you get close to an object you start to cut in and makes parts invisible. just play with the value til you get something that works for your scene. it may be weird to work with at first, but it was usually the quickest way for me to get what i wanted.

JFFORTIN
10-21-2005, 11:35 PM
the vertice ur talking about are on top of ur head and will be 100% to ur head joint i assume so just select them and use component editor to put them at 100% or u can use paint weight and put the option to add at 1 and use flood.
Or u can use grow selection and do the same process if u want ur cap to have a different skinning value .

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2005, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.