PDA

View Full Version : PrMan ptfilter diffusemeanfreepath

mjs1
10-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Has anyone experimented much with putting in different rgb triplets into the PrMan ptfilter utility used to generate subsurface diffusion point clouds? I started by keeping r, g, and, b the same, eaning that al three wavelengths scattered equally through the material. What I'd like to create is the effect I've seen in snow, where the scattered light tends to be blue-ish. When I get a nice scattering blue I like, the diffusely reflecting component is much too red. I thought that reducing the mean free path of the red channel would mean more of the red would get absorbed. It looks more like I'm getting more reflected red light while the scattering light is turnign blue.

Wwhat I'd like is white diffusely reflecting parts and a blue scattering component.

fxjeane
10-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Are you putting any color information into the point cloud that you are baking out? Or is it just a grayscale representing the SSS contribution.

If you make it a grayscale you can always bring it in to your shader and filter it with a color (or several colors) using all kinds of available techniques.

Cheers
DR

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2005, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.