PDA

View Full Version : depth map

shadoww
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
I am creating an animation where I need to have different depth maps, where the white areas are the closest points to the camera and the black areas are all the way back like the examples on this site

(http://www.richardrosenman.com/dofpro_batchsamples.htm).

I want to take a picture and make a depth map of my own, but because it is a annimation it is impossible to do them all by hand. Is there a way to create or generate these maps from a picture?

shadoww
10-19-2005, 02:01 PM
the link I posted was wrong sorry about that, I changed the link now. Hope it clarifies some

FLCL
10-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Is it 3D animation or animation in photoshop. If you do have a 3D package there are many tricks you can use to get depth renders out.

shadoww
10-22-2005, 09:36 AM
It is a movie I want the z-depth information to get received. I have used the z-depth option in various 3d programs wich work great but only on 3d objects. I would like to know if this kind of information is also receiveble from a picture or movie

scrimski
10-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm afraid it is not. You can fake it by painting your own z-depth bitmpas Another way could be to animate a dummy sequence in a 3d package, but both ways depend strongly on the content.

FLCL
10-24-2005, 10:10 AM
yeah i agree, has to be faked really. If you have something like shake then you can rotoscope it, thats probably the best bet. As trying to both model and animate 3D geometry to match, is very time consuming, very painful, and very hard to get accurate results.

Theres been a new development in camera technology, whereby you can actually recover, depth information, normals, and other info you'd normally get from 3D secondary passes, from actual filmed footage. But it involves a huge setup and needs something like a couple of gigabytes storage per second! Promising for the future tho. Afraid i can't remember the link now.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2005, 10:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.