PDA

View Full Version : Some confusion with Compare nodes

ThePriest
10-18-2005, 08:13 PM
In my scene I have a particle setup with varying sized particles.
Those particle collide within an object and flow a given distance
until they reach the end and die.

The smaller particles need to remain witin the collision object
but when they reach or are a certain size, I would like for them
to brake free of the collision and become a new group that floats away.

Part of my setup says Ppass(group)restrict -Pgroup free
and I have an 'On' node waiting for the equation to work.

Could somebody simplify the condition/compare nodes so that I can finish this piece.
I have really no idea what to compare it to, a floating math output?

What says to xpresso, when size reaches => 50, enter this group, or group on.

Please, very desperate for your help at this point.

Thanks

Per-Anders
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
compare litereally does that, compares one value to another and outputs a TRUE/FALSE result TRUE is equal to 1, FALSE is equal to 0.

using this information you can then do a whole load of things. you can drive a condition node (which is effectively a switch, when the input value is 0, it outputs what's plugged into the "0" input, when the input value is 1 it outputs what's plugged into the "1" slot. you could also use the contition to drive the "on" port of many nodes, for instance any node you want to activate at that point, for instance a psetdata node, or a pgroup node containing the nodes you want to execute when a condition is met in the compare node (remember to turn on the pgroup's use on state in the am for this to work if it's not on by default) etc. coding, even visually requires just a bit of lateral thinking.

ThePriest
10-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks sadie, Is there a possiblity you could make me a quick sample of a group entering a new group once it reaches a certain size? Would this take you long?

Per-Anders
10-18-2005, 08:39 PM
i'm afraid i don't have itme right now. just od this though

make a compare node, connect the size output of a pgetdata node to it's first input, set it's state to be REAL and to be > 50. take the output connect it to a Pgroup node's "on" input, and put the group you want your particles to change to into the pgroup node.

ThePriest
10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
"I finally got it down" and owe you another thanks.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.