PDA

View Full Version : Merging masks. How?

Takeshy
10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
I have two layers each with a diferent layer mask.
I want to merge the masks so I can make it a shape that looks like both of the masks. How do I do this?
I serched the web and couldn't find a answer to this question.

Please help. Thank you

JamesMK
10-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Assuming your masks are stored as alpha channels, it's as easy as CTRL+click on the first alpha channel to load the mask as a selection, and then SHIFT+CTRL+click on the second alpha channel to add the mask to the current selection. If you want to store the resulting mask, just use the 'save selection' command.

ctp
10-18-2005, 07:41 PM
depending on what your masks look like, you could try one of the following...

(might be best for solid black masks)
Ctrl-Click on one of the layer mask icons - this will load the mask as a selection.
Shift-Ctrl-Click on the other layer mask icon - this will add it to the selection you just made.
and you've got a selection you can use for whatever... eg. a new mask.

(might be best for masks ranging over shades of gray)
Ctrl-Click on one of the layer mask icons - this will load the mask as a selection.
Select (click) the layer that contains the other mask.
Go to the menu Select > Load Selection... In the dialog box set the Operation to "Intersect with Selection" and make sure Channel is set as the layer mask (eg. "Layer1 Mask"). Click OK.
Try out the resulting selection by using it for a new mask or whatever.

A tip you may already know, but if you want to see a layer mask in itself, you can Alt-Click on the layer mask icon to see just the mask, and Alt-Click it again to return to normal viewing. Makes it a bit easier see just exactly what's in the mask.

anyway, hope it helps.

Velk
10-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Yep James hit it spot on. You can also CTRL+Click on the mask itself (doesn't have to be an Alpha) then Shift+CTRL+Click on the second mask.

Takeshy
10-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Ok here is an exaple of what I would want
With the Pen Tool I made two shapes (a circle and a square, doesn't mather this is for example), on two diferent layers with masks.
I want to make the a new layer with a new mask that has the tho shapes (square and circle) and preserves the Anchor Points.

I've tried @JamesMK's way but after I 'save selection' how do I put it on a new layer? and does it have the same anchors points?

I tried making a work path from selectin but it distorded the anchors points and the shape.

Anyway thank you for the answers. But any other options?

10x

Velk
10-18-2005, 08:44 PM
OK. I think this will do what you are wanting.

Create Shape 01 with Pen tool
Create new layer and Shape 02 with Pen tool
Highlight Layer 01
Open the Paths Tab
Double-Click on the default Path
Rename (i.e. Path 01)
Click on the Layers tab and select Layer 02
Click on the Paths tab
Double Click the default path
Rename (i.e. Path 02)
Select one of the paths
Press ALT+Click on the Path
Copy
Creat new Path
Rename (i.e. Path 03)
Paste
ALT+Click the second path
Copy
Highlight Path 03
Paste

ctp
10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
ok, were talking purely vector masks...
well try this...
have one of the layers selected, go to the Paths Palette, select the path that says somthing Vector Mask, Ctrl-C (to copy the path)
Go to the Layers palette, click on the other layer, then click on the vector mask icon on that layer to make sure it is selected, then Ctrl-V to paste the path you just copied. You should now have both paths in the same Vector mask.

Velk
10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
After that you can CTRL+Click the final Path to make that a selection and then apply it as a layer mask etc...

Forgot to add that you can also (with Path 03 highlighted) Click on Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer and choose any of those layers and it will add you vector mask to the layer or adjustment.

Takeshy
10-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Thank you very much, both methods worked as I wanted.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2005, 10:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.