PDA

View Full Version : Reel critique needed........

lordmachuca
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Calling all pros, students... who ever, critique is seriously appreciated. Heres my newest reel
Its not finalized so I'm open to suggestions

critique away comrads....
www.polyism.com/demoreel/finaltest.mov
-los

ninjacore
10-18-2005, 05:56 PM
HEy.

i liked this reel. you can sure as hell model and texure.

i liked how simple your reel was, however, you might wanna sort out the transisitons of Pure black at the start. goes on a tad too long. I know thats picky as hell. also, you had some text over you bird character. PICKY as hell, but i would have placed it up in the corner or something. :)

I think a good suggestion would be maybe add a view of your texture sheets for your models. Unless, your handling that aspect another way.

also i assume when u send this thing out, it will be higher rez?

other than that, shit hot stuff. :thumbsup:

lordmachuca
10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey thanks for the critique man.

I'll try to find some how to fill in that black spot in the transition. Ill move that text too dude. I've seen some of you stuff its cool too man, those environments are badasss.
thanks again,

-los

Schwinnz
10-18-2005, 07:37 PM
My cat sat right in front of me when I started watching it, and he did seem to enjoy. I think he specially like the boar since he tried to attack it. :D

I liked it too. :)

RO
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I like the models a lot and the texture work is very awesome.

Though one thing it lacks, is presentation. This is kind of odd... Sometimes it might be good to have a simple presentation like this or have more camera angles for charecters. Like for example what I have seen from other modeling reels for high res modeling.

Like this one http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=286031 Even though it is long is keeps you wanting more. It sells the model really well. And the angles are diff and non standard rotation like you have now. Also naming your charecters is a good idea. Put a tab that says the name and maybe fades out. As for background, in this case I might go with a lighter color since it kind of blends in with the wireframe non textures peices. Edit: I looked back and the best is pancho. I really like the camera angles more on him. Try to keep to the alike spirt.

It is just some really well done models presented really low compared to the work behind these models. The presentation has to be more intresting. I am not saying go graphic design crazy but I honestly get tired of seeing the same rotation after a while. Look at the reels that have gotten a lot of attention. I think the frontpage has another one that I have not seen. It is always nice to see what fellow artist do to present work to companies.

Besides that which is only based on the presentation I think you have a high degree of modeling and texturing skills. I would think you can get a job easily.

toebee_1
10-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Your work is real nice, but to me teh reel feels kinda slow. You spend a lot of time on the first model. To me I think you need to start out fast, get the employer into your real. You have to make a real quick first impression, or the entire reel may not even be seen. Game companies look at a ton of reels, you want something to stand out quick and get there attention. A slowly rotating model can get kinda stale, especially after seeing it a few times.

Another thing that would be cool is to get some motion into those models. Many look as though they are rigged as they are in poses, so why not add a bit of motion, even just an idle cycle brings a lot more life to the reel. If you could fit in a walk or something that would be nice too. Its good to show that your models can hold up to being rigged and animated.

Your work is nice, just pick up the pace a bit, and especially have a quicker intro.

lordmachuca
10-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Wow, this is great guys, thanks for all the critique.

Ill definatley work out all those areas. Ive decided to go with out the music and just focus on something more consistant and to the point.
I felt kinda restricted to the music which is why all those long spots are there, trying to get the time right and everything.

Back to the drawing board!

-los

Bazooka Tooth
10-18-2005, 11:07 PM
you could keep that music. If you re-edit it with more and different shots, it would help. I like what you did with the intro of the Mexican Gunman, if you did more of that for each characters intro, it would help. Also, I didnt like how you showed the guy with the ski mask's wire before his color. It sort of makes you need to gather what your looking at before you can look at the wires.

Augh
10-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Hey man, will download your reel on meh creaky 56k right now ;) So I'll be a while til I got crits haha. But yeah in the meantime, based on what people have said;

Definitely agree Shraga's reel is very very beautifully presented, it's not too fussy but still looks neat and tidy and kinda dressed for an important meeting as it were ;) If you have a chance, check out user Metamesh's zbrush reel, this also has very nice presentation without too much making it busy.

The character naming thing is a must! Hehe I notice that all the WIP models I see by people who are receiving training from "professionals" (VFS for example, mostly) will start off generic and get a personalised name before they are done, it instantly characterises the model much more strongly and gives a sense of background and stuff. I suspect they are encouraged to take up this practise by tutors etc.

Even if the character is not fully rigged, yeah imo eyes tracking the camera, or a simple blink cycle can make a huge difference, add life and such.

Well, I'll see how many of these crits are totally redundant when I see the reel hehehehe. Be back :)

Cheers!

lordmachuca
10-19-2005, 05:13 AM
I appreciate the time you guys took to download and review my reel.

here's the update, I tried to fix some of the major malfunctions thanks to your crits.
Im just experimenting at the moment. I got a few more versions coming up.

heres the update
www.polyism.com/demoreel/finaltest2.mov
thanks again,

-los

Por@szek
10-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi man.

Nice to see U working on the reel. I look at this and I must say that its pretty impressive. I saw only one thing which bodering me. Don;t U thing U should change 3d modeller for 3d artist?:] This little thing but looks better. Especially when U are also making a textures, on other way means that u only model the stuff ... I think.

U made a nice peace of job. The music also feets perfectly. I love the changes when drums are louder.

Great job man. And good luck on job hunting.

xEmilx
10-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Decent looking reel!
I guess my only crits would be the texture sheets, I had to pause the reel to be able to get any sort of real look at any of them.
Keep up the good work!

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2005, 07:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.