PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablets

The Idiot King
02-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Can someone give me some tips on shopping for a tablet? I want one for personal use, and I am wondering if the GraphireII is worthwhile. I think the active area is only 4x5" which seems really small. Has anyone used one of these? Is there enough work area to get good results, or is it hopelessly low-end?

I'd probably pick one up from Ebay. What sort of price do you think is reasonable?

One last Q: Can they be damaged easily? Would a used tablet be a sketchy purchase?

skyPhyr
02-26-2002, 04:57 AM
Well I've got a 12" x 18" wacom intuos so I can't comment on the size from personal experience, but a number of my friends in game development swear by the 4" x 5" tablets. They use them mostly for texturing of polygonal models.

They've actually said that for their purposes it's better than the really large one because you don't have to move your arm as far...

You can also use the driver to zoom the entire panel to a section of your screen if you need to do more detailed work in a particular area (or just zoom in)

As far as I've heard tablets are extremely reliable and sturdy.

A brand new Graphire 2 Steel 4x5 USB Tablet w/Pen & Cordless Mouse retails for as low as US$88.

Though if you're looking to become familiar with prices for other types can I suggest you go to http://www.pricewatch.com

This will find you the cheapest prices for all sorts of hardware. It's where I've referenced the graphire 2 price from.

Best of luck,

skyPhyr.

grstovell
02-26-2002, 11:59 PM
I recently purchased a powerbook Titanium and (since I didn't want to do modeling and animation with a trackpad!!!!!) I purchased the Graphire II (4x5). It's been a heaven-sent!!!! And I absolutely love it!

Before I used an ADB Wacom tablet (12 x 8????) with an old powerpc and I did like it... but again, it was a bit too big to make it portable.

I cannot reccomend the graphire II enough. ANd the price? I payed about $90... and with that price you really can't go wrong.

-g

The Idiot King
02-27-2002, 12:32 AM
And which company do you work for? Wacom by chance? heheh

Thanks for your help guys. I hate buying stuff that disappoints. I can't wait to build my new computer and plug in a Graphire 2.

grstovell
02-27-2002, 09:45 PM
I wish...

believe it or not, I work in a church.

go figure.

-g

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.