PDA

View Full Version : Hi there :)

nirk
10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Ok, so I'm new in CGtalk...
I just started using Photoshop, because I found it very intresting.
My qustion to you is:
How did you start learning Photoshop?

Good evning,
Nir.
:)

hentsteph
10-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Reading Computer Arts Mag. & trying the tuts.

halo
10-18-2005, 12:54 AM
the manual is as good as place as any

dbates
10-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I just jumped right in. . . I gave myself a project and used the Web to figure out how to do it. Once I finished with that project, I gave myself another one, and so on.

Velk
10-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Taught myself, just jumped in and started playing around.

nirk
10-18-2005, 05:22 PM

I just jumped right in. . . I gave myself a project and used the Web to figure out how to do it. Once I finished with that project, I gave myself another one, and so on.
What do you mean in "Project"?
Can you give me an example?

nir.

Vogeler
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book Series (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321321847/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_3_txt_T1/002-4797497-6612868?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance)

itsallgoode9
10-18-2005, 10:17 PM
you might find an image and try to recreate it in photoshop. Maybe a movie poster or an advertisment or somthing along those lines

dbates
10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. . . my primary Internet time is between classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Anyways, here goes (this might be a little long-winded):

My first Photoshop project was a space scene. I used LEGO Star Wars models (the X-wing and the TIE) and a few Imperial Star Destroyer pictures off the internet, as well as Photoshop-generated planets, lasers and a starfield background. It took me three tries to get a decent-looking image, and by then I was tired of the concept and started another project. I knew basically nothing when I started, but a couple of Photoshop tutorials and a lot of questions helped out a great deal.

For example, I wanted to put in a starfield background. I didn't have the time or energy to brush in thousands of individual stars, and duplicating small patches of stars resulted in an annoying tile pattern. So I google searched for something like "photoshop tutorial starfield" and found out about the Noise and Threshold filters. A bit of experimentation, and there it was: a decent, random star pattern. Later on I figured out how to make three Starfield layers, one with small stars, one medium, and one with a few hand-brushed LARGE stars for visual interest.

(By the way, if you want to see the final image, I can post it.)

So. . . that's the long version of how I learned Photoshop. I hope it was helpful, at least in a small way. . .

--dbates

nirk
10-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. . . my primary Internet time is between classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Anyways, here goes (this might be a little long-winded):

My first Photoshop project was a space scene. I used LEGO Star Wars models (the X-wing and the TIE) and a few Imperial Star Destroyer pictures off the internet, as well as Photoshop-generated planets, lasers and a starfield background. It took me three tries to get a decent-looking image, and by then I was tired of the concept and started another project. I knew basically nothing when I started, but a couple of Photoshop tutorials and a lot of questions helped out a great deal.

For example, I wanted to put in a starfield background. I didn't have the time or energy to brush in thousands of individual stars, and duplicating small patches of stars resulted in an annoying tile pattern. So I google searched for something like "photoshop tutorial starfield" and found out about the Noise and Threshold filters. A bit of experimentation, and there it was: a decent, random star pattern. Later on I figured out how to make three Starfield layers, one with small stars, one medium, and one with a few hand-brushed LARGE stars for visual interest.

(By the way, if you want to see the final image, I can post it.)

So. . . that's the long version of how I learned Photoshop. I hope it was helpful, at least in a small way. . .

--dbates
Thanks a lot!
ok, so if you can post your final image of this project, I'll be gald :)
and I'll try to do that also, but I don't think I'll succeed...
thanks anyway,
Nir.

larious
10-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book Series (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321321847/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_3_txt_T1/002-4797497-6612868?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance)

Start on this Classroom book, it will really help you a lot, then do your search on the web and work on the tut's thats on the web.

spmonahan
10-20-2005, 10:57 PM
I have to agree with larious: get a book like Adobe Classroom in a Book to learn the lay of the land (even better would be a class if you have a college near by) and then give yourself projects to work on and develop your skills.

dbates
10-23-2005, 02:19 AM
Here's my image. Note how the lighting doesn't quite match. . . oh well.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/4594/spacebattleiii4tz.jpg

--dbates (http://imageshack.us/)

Velk
10-23-2005, 03:52 AM
dbates that is exactly how I went about learning PS.
nirk I gave myself projects and then looked up tutorials online/asked friends until I got something I liked. Most of the stuff I did then is trash and I won't show it to anyone now but that was the best way for me to learn. I learn a lot by doing so it really depends how you learn, if classrooms and books are your way then do that. Just remember to believe that you can do it, its just a skill to learn.

phungdinhdung
10-24-2005, 01:27 AM
playing around with all the tools to understand and well know em .
do one basic painting tut then think for futher advance methods :)

tatiana
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Ok, so I'm new in CGtalk...
I just started using Photoshop, because I found it very intresting.
My qustion to you is:
How did you start learning Photoshop?

I had to use it at my job to do storyboarding and some image adjusting. So that could be considered a project, I think. :) Of course, that's way back when Photoshop didn't have layers....

Working with it every day helped tremendously. So practice, practice, practice. I would say that has been true for any CG application I've worked with, from learning 3D modeling to digital painting - had to do it for my job, so I had to learn it by doing a project.

t

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.