PDA

View Full Version : Can I apply say, 'French watercolor'-texture afterwards?

White Knight
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
I know I can make apply a paper-texture to an image using:
Effects / Surface control / Express texture
but in that window I find no way of choosing amongst all the predefined "papers".

So my question is, is there some way of applying some of all the predefined textures afterwards, when the painting is otherwise finished ?

Jinbrown
10-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi White,

You'll need to have the Papers palette open before using the Effects > Surface Control > Express Texture command. Then in the Using: drop down list, choose Paper and, while the Express Texture dialog box is still open, you can choose a Paper from the Papers palette and see the effect in the Preview window, choose another Paper if you want and make slider adjustments as needed until you're happy with the look, then click the OK button.

In addition to adding texture as you paint using brush variants that interact with the currently selected Paper to show that texture in the brushstrokes, here are a few other ways you can add texture during the process of creating the image and/or after the image is completed. It can be added to either the entire image, an entire Layer, or a selected area of the image. Some I like better than others:

Choose a Paper, then paint on the image using the Impasto's Grain Emboss variant. (Rarely use this one but sometimes it comes in handy for adding texture in smaller areas.... for instance, I use it to paint an embossed copyright notice on images.

Choose a Paper, then paint on the image using the Photo's Add Grain variant. (Don't like this one much as it's hard to control... too much, to fast... but it could be used on a Layer, I suppose, maybe with a variation on John Derry's 50%-grey-Layer-set-to-Overlay method linked below.)

Use Effects > Surface Control > Apply Surface Texture, Using: Paper. You'll be able to choose another Paper while this dialog box is open, too. This is probably the most commonly used method of adding texture, other than the more natural one, painting with brush variants that interact with Paper texture and show that texture in the brushstrokes. The Apply Surface Texure dialog box contains several good controls that are fun to play with. (This method can be used to apply surface texture to the entire image, or a selected portion of the image.)

Use John Derry's method described in his thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280945Adding Non-Destructive Surface Texture in Corel Painter (This one's good since it allows a lot of freedom to adjust Layer Opacity and never damages other parts of the image. Plus, it can be dumped if you don't like the effect and you can start over.)

Those should keep you busy for a while.

If you need to know more about any of these methods, use the Painter IX Help > Help Topics Index tab and type the appropriate words. There's information in Help Topics on all of the Effects > Surface Control options.

Have fun!

White Knight
10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Ah, once again you've not only answered my question but also "walked the extra mile"!

A silly thing, which was the main-source for my confusion, was that I had accidentaly confused the 'Express texture' for the 'Apply surface texture'-command. The latter being the one I was looking for...

Your additional methotds of applying texture using brushes will be really useful as well.
Also I apriciate the link to John Derry's method of adding nondestructive texture.

Now hopefully I'm all set to start on my new painting :)

Huge thanks Jin!

/White Knight

Jinbrown
10-19-2005, 07:13 AM
You're most welcome!

You are a great student and I'd love to have you in one of my Painter classes when I begin teaching again. Really, it's fun working with someone so interested and so willing to learn.

Cheers! :)

White Knight
10-20-2005, 12:08 PM
You're most welcome!

You are a great student and I'd love to have you in one of my Painter classes when I begin teaching again. Really, it's fun working with someone so interested and so willing to learn.

Cheers! :)

Thanks. I'd be honoured. Let me know when you pick up the classes agian...

Jinbrown
10-21-2005, 09:02 AM
White Knight,

I certainly will let you know. :)

It'll help if you e-mail me and include your CGTalk user name so I'll know who you are. My e-mail addresss is (remove the spaces):

jinbrown @ pixelalley.com

Hope to have a couple of classes, or workshops going soon. I've been saying that forever and one thing or another keeps getting the way.

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2005, 09:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.