PDA

View Full Version : thread rating system suggestion

gunslingerblack
10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
i think that it might increase peoples want to post if you made it so that you could not rate a thread until you posted in that thread. it also might quell some of the people who get pissed when thier thread gets buried because it doesn't recieve ratings.

my personal experience with rating, i had a thread that had 4 stars, and people would rate it without even posting critiques. it's quite frustrating to get downrated to 3 stars and not have a reason why.

mrtristan
11-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Perhaps the thread vote could be part of a post reply? It would at least encourage people to voice their opinion with their vote. Of course, for popular threads (think about the CGChoice gallery), the reply chain gets really really long already.

I wonder if the vote could be biased based on some valuation of each user. Perhaps someone who's new to the site doesn't count as much as a long-time grizzled veteran.

I also wonder if each reply could be queried for "informational content" automatically. If it worked, readers could weed out the off-topic replies and only see the notable work. This is an idea similar to slashdot, however, you could do something like TF-IDF scoring to just read the top 20 most informative replies. (Actually, that would be a pretty stupid system, but it's probably a start.) Some sites like slashdot allow people to vote on replies to score things, which may be useful. But I think an automated system is better.

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2005, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.