PDA

View Full Version : palet knife rotation problem

depleteD
10-16-2005, 07:46 PM
and when i make a stroke my cursor dissapears to that stupid brush thing. Its driving me insane, i didnt have these problems before i formatted. Whats up? I want permanent brush ghosting

-Andrew

pushav
10-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Lol. That is what I dislike about painter. I can't believe corel has not came out with a patch for that yet. I stopped using the palette knife in painter. You can never really judge how big the brush is.

Jinbrown
10-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Andrew,

Don't let a little thing like non-permanent brush ghosting drive you insane or ordinary life's gonna kill ya way before your time! ;)

You must have been using another program if you think you didn't have the problem of non-permanent brush Ghosting before reformatting.

Painter has never had permanent brush ghosting (still displayed while painting), and with some Painter versions' brush variants, there is no brush ghost available.

Painter 5 didn't have brush ghosting at all and the choice of cursors while painting were: Triangle, Single Pixel.

Painter 6 and Painter 7 offered the option to check the "Brush ghost when possible" box and the choice of cursors while painting were: Triangle, Single Pixel.

Painter 8 offered the option to check the "Enable brush ghosting" box and the choice of cursors while painting were: Brush, Single Pixel.

Painter IX offers the option to check the "Enable brush ghosting" box and the choice of cursors while painting has been expanded: Brush (with a drop down list of options, Brush, Cross, Torus, Triangle, Hollow Triangle, Gray Triangle), or Single Pixel.

Even with the "Enable brush ghosting" box in Painter 8 and Painter IX, there still may be some brush variants for which brush ghosting is not available, though I haven't checked all of the brush variants to find out.

I don't worry at all about brush ghosting, whether it's enabled or disabled makes no difference to me since I'm used to painting following the brushstroke itself just like I would using traditional pencil, ink, paint. The advantage of working digitally is that if I don't like the brushstroke placement or brush size, I just Undo, adjust the size if needed, then try again. Most of the time I don't need to Undo and try again because I'm so used to working with Painter.

In fact, since brush ghosting uses memory, I sometimes disable it altogether.

You'll get used to it too, with enough use of Painter.

jud
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
For the pallette knife I would use the "wet oily palette knife" found in "artist oils" this knife for me anyway seems to rotate in the direction I paint as opposed to a normal knife where vertical strokes gives thick lines and horizontal strokes gives thin lines, the wet oily palette knife gives thick lines in all directions, vertical and horizontal, I find it great for blending and painting brushed metal that has a curved surface, which is what I am painting at the moment and it really helps bring home the effect when used with a modified oily bristle brush at low opacity and resat.

As for the brush ghosting, my settings are....cursor type=brush, drawing cursor=torus and I have gosting enabled, you can see the size of the brush just before you paint and you have to keep that in mind when using it, but the brush head should be displayed all the time if you ask me as this would give a better sense of what you are doing.

rogfa
10-21-2005, 07:34 AM
I use the hotkey CTRL + ALT to resize the brush on screen. You can get the exact size you need before making a stroke. I don't want to hijack the thread but is there a hotkey to disable ghosting? Using the Airbush or Glow tool at large sizes causes cursor slowdown until the stroke is made. I've been going into the options and turning it off manually but it's kinda annoying.

Jinbrown
10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
rogfa,

It's not a lot faster, but you could add a main menu command button to a Custom Palette so you can enable or disable Brush Ghosting more quickly:

Window > Add Command (choose either New or an existing Custom Palette name). Then while the Add Command dialog box is still open, choose Edit > Preferences > General and click the OK button.

Now you'll see a menu command button named General.... in your Custom Palette, named.

rogfa
10-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Jin, that's a great idea!

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2005, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.