PDA

View Full Version : My Enviroments that got me a job with R*North

ukson
10-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi eveyone i been working for R*Noth two months (as an enviroment artist) now my first industry job and im loving it, i thought i would post some of my work that got me that job. Critiques are welcome, im still very new to all this.

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chicagotownrender25xi.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alleywayportfolio22km.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carportfolio23bm.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=busstoprender27je.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bridgeportfolio22dl.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=highburyportfolio29si.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=offyportfolio23gl.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dockartrender20qp.jpg

Hope you like!

ukson
10-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh and while im going through old work i came across my last uni project i was really proud of at the time.

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hongkongportfolio9tf.jpg

requiem2d
10-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Some very nice stuff, I just find it a little hard giving crit when it's not in an in-game setting, let us see some of that if you have any :D Congrats on getting the job :D

HellBoy
10-16-2005, 06:03 PM
hay m8 that is awesome stuff

by the way is there rockstar studio in london cuz I though they were in up north of the country

Jonj1611
10-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi,

Great work, would like to know what application it was done with.

Thanks
Jon

Gaboon
10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
First of all, congratulations on the job. I have been trying myself for a while so I know how hard it is. Good for you. Your environments look great to me, very pro. I can see why they hired you. Its great that you posted your portfolio work. It helps everybody trying to get in to see what the standards are. Good luck!

ukson
10-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Thank you everyone for you comments, no there is no raocksatr company london thats just where im from i had to move up to edinburgh (but its well worth it). sorry i didnt descibre any of work properly, i used 3d max 7 and photoshop for all of it. thanks again for your great comments

rockyj123
10-16-2005, 07:39 PM
tat is really awesome and very inspiring stuff man....

p.s:wot tips would you give to aspiring enviroment artists?...

gr8 stuff

ukson
10-16-2005, 09:31 PM
^^^^^
the one thing that worked for me is, take alot from what you see from day to day, i try and do sort photo-realistic stuff so i take alot of photos in the streets of stuff i think would be a good texture after a few touch ups in photoshop and what not and your halfway there. my modelling isnt even that hard to do. for enviroments its all in the textures (to me). thank you very much for your comments

luciferous
10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Seeing this is very encouraging, Your stuff is really nice, definitley the kind of thing rockstar seem to love... I am in the stages of putting a portfolio together aswell as a demoreel, I was wondering on theway you presented your stuff to the studio, any fancy bits n bats added to the rell and folio or was it a no non-sense sort of affair?

AndyH
10-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Great stuff - and congrats on getting into one of the most illustrious games developers in the uk!
Those environments look ace - great colour usage and good, clean textures. They could use a little detail - particularly on the chinese market one, but i guess you will always have limitations when making games environments. They have a very british, realistic look. Not idealised or charicatured.
They look a better than the environments in the grand theft auto games anyhow - its just a case of wether you would be able to make a game world as big as GTA look that good all over!

Just a question - what have R*North worked on? It was the american rockstar branch that did GTA wasnt it?

ninjacore
10-17-2005, 09:25 AM
:scream: R*North have done the whole GTA series and Manhunt.:thumbsup:

Good pics fella. Nice Bus stop!

finchy
10-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi there, Great work just the kinda stuff i love to do! Excellent news on the job! How long has it taken you to get into the industry? i'm on two years now and growing the more frustrated each day! As asked earlier if you could mention about how your application was put together, did you send prints or just a cd? what qualifications do you have? sorry for the questions but as you can see by the posts a lot of people need help from the artists that make it into the industry, I'm sure you understand:) lastly here is my work if you could look at it and comment on what you think I would greatly appreciate it!! thanks,
Finchy:)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=250047&page=5

Shimmer
10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Hey congrats on the job! Really nice work, nice mood, good architecture, maybe some compositing in regards of the perspective would helped to push it even more (though, who cares anyway :).
Curious, are you using any next-gen stuff like normal-, spec- oder decorationmaps?

Best work in my oppinion: http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=offyportfolio23gl.jpg

For anybody, who want to do similar stuff and want to get into the industry, some tips, show flexibility and show you like hard and sometimes boring work like Env art is sometimes. I think 2-3 nice dioramas including characters, particle FX (rain, steam from the underground, leafs whirled up by the wind etc), good mood and lighting (also look for photographic composition refrence) all next-gen in top notch quality will bring you into the industry.

Interesting thing for those who want to get into the big R. I will work at R*vienna hopefully soon, and being a character modeler from nature, I also made it with env art (that I am not allowed to show atm :). So get away from your arrogance and make bricks and walls :)

Congrats again for the job and have fun making GTA4 or whatever :) and say hello to Rick from Shimmer.

Yay, another talent in!

Ceccotti
10-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Very cool you got a job. Im interested to know if you texture your invironments by unwraping or procedual threw the materials editor and I think I can get a job with Rockstar....if only it was in canada.

TheShow
10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
In one of the venues you have some chain link fence - what method did you use to get that apperence - I've noticed that chain link is one of the hardest materials to communicate beacuse of the fact that it is comprised of primarily diagonals and alpha - this creates some huge obsticles with mipping and texture size versus quality. What was your strategy here? Would/does it display well in a game engine? From many angles?

Thanks for your post and any feedback . . .

luciferous
10-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Very cool you got a job. Im interested to know if you texture your invironments by unwraping or procedual threw the materials editor and I think I can get a job with Rockstar....if only it was in canada.

theres always rockstar vancouver you could try with if you dont fancy making too big a move

yamicman
10-17-2005, 09:26 PM
nice work and congrats on getting the job - your last uni project looks really familiar, were you at portsmouth by any chance?

Andy

ninjacore
10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
As asked earlier if you could mention about how your application was put together, did you send prints or just a cd? what qualifications do you have?

i work at the same place so i might as well tell of my account..
i sent in a cd, which had my reel and stuff on it. made my own packaging. nothing fancy just a slim case with a home made sleeve. Make sure you include a covering letter. pack, then send away. and i did a computer arts degree at uni. year later got a job. but it helped that i got involved in a Mod.

luciferous
10-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Cheers ninjacore, now to put my ass in gear and get me a reel together, one thing Ive found, not sure if its the same world over, but if you have an art related job you find it hard to get a job, either your over qualified for a simple shop job which you want to make ends meet or you left uni without a good enough portfolio and so struggle to get work related to your degree and thats if there is anything near you.

The lack of a job has started to get me down, everywhere i apply for a normal job I get turned down or they dont even bother to get back to me with a reply, with arty jobs I dont feel my works good enough yet, although my friends say as a digital illustrator i am fantastic ( nice of em eh?) so now I think Ive finally decided on a course of action, I have always wanted to do something to do with games and so that shall be my aim, model some great stuff and nice mix of envirnment and character and hopefully a varied style to boot... so fingers crossed...

HellBoy
10-18-2005, 10:23 PM
it'll also help if you focus on one main element and make it your strong side, e.g. Environtment, character modelling, animation ect. I mean I've seen your work luciferous and you're well good.

This whole 'not replying' business is same as any job CG or not I mean you personally think your work isn't good enough then improve those areas you're not satisfied with.

blz
10-18-2005, 11:17 PM
congratulations on the job
some nice environments youv got there.
good work!

rob-beddall
10-19-2005, 10:51 AM
hey!!

well done on the job.
i think i applied there for a character modeller position at the same time the environment artist position was going. obviously i didn't get it heh.
so yeah, well done. think i might have to start including some environments in my portfolio.

cheers!!

luciferous
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
it'll also help if you focus on one main element and make it your strong side, e.g. Environtment, character modelling, animation ect. I mean I've seen your work luciferous and you're well good.

This whole 'not replying' business is same as any job CG or not I mean you personally think your work isn't good enough then improve those areas you're not satisfied with.

cheers dude... ya Im sat here thinking I want to model something.... then i start swinging from character to environment... I think im gona find a hat and write all my ideas down on scars a paper and pck one out and just do that.. then move onto then next scrap

well first i have a house to tidy before my gf's folks get back off their honey moon

feedbaz
11-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Congrats on the job, even if I'm a bit late to comment.

I've been wondering what the application process involves? I tried for a job a few months back in the UK and went through 2 interviews and a rather large art test. Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but I'd like to get a general idea of what applying for a company like rockstar entails?

ninjacore
11-05-2005, 09:24 PM
2 interviews and an arttest sounds familar with what i had to do with one company i applied for. at rockstar it was just a really casual interview. i dunno how much i'm aloud to say

mindrot
11-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Edit*

Good work ukson. Like the renders. Quite fitting for Rockstar as well.

Congrats on the job. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it up there :)

I got a call from them just a few months after starting at Eurocom. I had to decline coz I couldn't jump ship after just starting a new job. I think the pay there is great as well :D.

ninjacore
11-07-2005, 09:30 AM
renders? at the top? nah thier not mine. but i think ukson sits over there somewhere. i found this thread and was just posting and sharing my experiances (been here 6 months).

thats crazy you got a call from them after starting your new place. that must have been a tough desicion.

mindrot
11-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Oooops... typed in the wrong name there sorry mate... :blush: not the first time I've done that either :argh:

Niber
12-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Very interesting, I've taken the liberity to make big assumtions from ukson's post assuming that the next GTA game really is based on London:
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=224961

Anyway I envy you big time, I fanboy the ground R* walks on and I've been trying to land a job there too, but I just get ignored like all the companies I send my portfolio ( http://portfolio.niber.net ) to.
But enough whining (my time will enventually come),

Thanks for making this thread ukson, it seems no matter how nice I make a image it's all crap in the eyes of the game studios so I was starting to wonder if you have to have pictures from LoTR and Final Fantasy movies for a recruiter to even open their eyes, so it's worth much to me that you showed your images so I could have a look what expceptations a game studio have for guys they actually responed to (and hire!).
Really nice stuff.
Nice input from ninjacore too. :)

HellBoy
12-02-2005, 11:28 PM
it seems no matter how nice I make a image it's all crap in the eyes of the game studios

is that just the two pics you was showing, are there more?

slice56
12-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Very cool man!

I work for Rockstar too (san diego), and trust me its a sweet place to work. congrats again!

Dave

Niber
12-03-2005, 10:42 AM
is that just the two pics you was showing, are there more?
Well nah but kinda. It's complicated, but I wouldn't like to highjack this thread with discussing my portfolio.

DevilHacker
12-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Great stuff :thumbsup:
-and congrats on getting into R* North

[To Niber, you have some Awesome looking pieces of work there! Website needs a lot of work though…]

Shore
12-05-2005, 11:00 PM
found this on gamespot :rolleyes:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24038702

HellBoy
12-06-2005, 12:19 AM
found this on gamespot :rolleyes:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24038702

wow, it got as far as gamespot, ukson you should be proud of yourself man, in 360 hours, the whole world knows where the pic is from and who's it by :)

Niber
12-06-2005, 08:06 AM
hahaha talk about noobs over there at GameSpot forum, AFIAK ukson have never claimed them to be GTA4 screens so their "discussion" over them beeing fake is kinda funny.

DevilHacker: heh thanks!

HellBoy: I think he should be more proud of working on a game that will hit worldwide publipication than a gamespot forum thread where n00bs claims his art is fake ;)

CarcerCityHood
12-06-2005, 08:40 PM
For those in the video game industry, or those trying to be, what exactly are you doing to prepare? I'm currently a junior in high school, and I plan on getting into the business, which is why I'm asking here. Obviously, high school doesn't offer much about video games, if at all, so all I'm doing now is taking all the computer classes that are available. Besides this, what can I do to get into the business, specifically environmental design? I really need help, and I would appreciate and feedback.

Lastly, about colleges, are there any the specifically specialize in video games? Is that wehere you guys are attending? I live in the U.S. by the way. Thanks again!

Niber
12-08-2005, 08:03 AM
oops nvm this post

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 08:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.