PDA

View Full Version : White and Pink

tcbcoolscene
10-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey fellas, I'm sort of unfamiliar with terminology of shaders styles these days, but im sure you guys will know what im talking about. I want to know how those awesome characters are shaded up, of course im refering to things such as Geri from pixar and other similar characters, they have pale skin and red and pink parts refined. This is quite vague i know, but i'm sure everyone would know what im talking about. So i'm just wondering, how do they do it?
I gave it a go myself, i used some gradient techniques in photoshop because i thought it would be as simple as that; it wasnt successful.
If anyone has any tutorials or reference to this style at all i would greatly appreciate it!,
As soon as i find the 3 examples im thinking of ill post them up, thanks in advance,

Cool

tcbcoolscene
10-17-2005, 11:36 AM
something like the keytoon animation studios characters, i really want to know how to do this kind of shader, anyone have any idea how they are done

spin_monkey
10-18-2005, 09:17 AM
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2972/pixargeri8tb.jpg

For something like the red on the nose i would probably go with UV texturing, this is quite time consuming, but there are MANY available tutorials around to help get you started.

If you arent sure on what this is, its when you sort of, unwrap the mesh in a UV editor (in which ever program you are using) to look like this...

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7176/chromehfaceuv5bs.gif

you would then take that into a photo editing map, and say for geri's nose,. you would grab the brush tool, and on a new layer, start painting, a dark pinky red splotch on the nose and the rest, a skin colour...

I hope this answers you're question :thumbsup:

tcbcoolscene
10-19-2005, 03:07 AM
thanks for the reply!, i have done some research and i think what i want is to use sss.
I'm using max 8 so the new uv options will help out loads. Trial and error i suppose

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2005, 03:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.