10-15-2005, 07:35 PM
want to delete this from the site.

HellBoy
10-15-2005, 07:48 PM
hay m8, somehow I can't watch your clip, it says file corrupted :shrug:

BakerCo
10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
The video worked fine for me.

as far as crits go I would say there is alot to be said since I am not an animator i can't tell you how to fix the problems but never the less these are the things that I feel need to be improved on.

1) the deformations look rough (possibly cause the models are extremely low poly in some key areas?)
2) the animations themselves are a good starting point but could use some work.
they're jerky in spots and lack fluidity.
3)If this is as you say your animation real i would hope that you would take more time in preparing what you put into it. for instance the quality of the rendering could be improved as well the models could be cleaned up joint wise and textutre wise if applicaple otherwise I would suggest a simple material color scheme .depending on the application you are using the smoothing on the models xould be better as well.

overall its not bad I feel though that you could improve the quality of the reel by spending some more time on the things that you are trying to portray.

well I hope that helps and that you don't take offense to what I have said.

Lost...

HellBoy
10-15-2005, 09:18 PM
ow yea, doenloading error it was, I watched it. I must say, I agree with LostInFace

good luck m8

TwitchyHamster
10-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Hmmm ;) That codec isn't very friendly!

-Twitchy

rnton22
10-15-2005, 11:35 PM
so you think my textures suck, eh? Yeah, I'm not a good texture artist, and not a great modeler. I'm mainly trying to do only animation. The deformations are embarrisingly bad in places, but bad modeling plus rigid binding will do that. I'll look into maybe just using a flat material on them. Maybe I'll re-skin and mess with the models a little, but those are over a year old and have other things I need to be doing. thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

also, not sure about that codec either, have a suggestion on what compression to use?

aesir
10-16-2005, 01:50 AM
This was a nice first attempt, but frankly, youre gonna have a really hard time getting a job with that.

First off, if you want to be an animator and you admittedly arent that good at texturing/modeling, then simply create some cool custom rigs for us and render those instead of giving us a half ass model to look at. Its really distracting from the animation. I've seen some amazing animation reels that dont have any models in them.

Secondly, your animations need work. Almost none of the motion looks particularly believeable. Sure, you can say its an obscneley fat guy and thats how obscenely fat people move, but as I see it, your motion is jerky, there is little to no secondary motion, and the body rarely follows through with things like punches like it should. The walk animations also suffered.

Lastly, your presentation sucked. You could at least have some nicer transitions from one animation to the next, rather then just a cut.

If you want some ideas for your reel, try this one out.
http://www.liquiddevelopment.com/wbv/Liquid_Development_Animation_Reel.wmv

rnton22
10-16-2005, 03:54 AM
First off, LostinFace, thanks for the honest reply. What you said were things I noticed and was worrying about and now know they're obvious enough I need to spend some extra time.

Secondly, Aesir, at first I really didn't appreciate the tone of your post. But to give you the benifit, I took a look at the reel you reccomended. After looking at that, and then checking threads of your own work, I can only say that your an asshole who doesn't have a place to talk like that too people.

Instead of saying how my presentation sucked, how about reading my opening where I said this was only some stuff that was going into my reel, not my finished, presentation in all reel.

Lastly, the reel you gave me, is an ornemental packaged piece of crap, absolutley no offense to the person/people who made it (seriously, I just disagree with icing when the cake isn't my liking). Stupid music plus cool renders with animations that have nothing to do with real time play mean nothing in game animation. Whats crazy about game animation is there isn't any layover time for realistic animations, because the player is constantly making the character change positions and do things. I'm not saying what I put up was succesfull in that, but it was in mind when made it.

If people expect game animation reels to look like 3d prerendered movie reels, then they have know idea what real time game animation calls for. If people expect game animation reels to look like 3d prerendered movie reels, and they act condescending when they don't, then they're an idiot that I don't appreciate commenting on my work.

This ins't in defense of my work, but in aesir's tone. Sorry, I've never been into internet forums, but usually happy with the people here.

PetterSundnes
10-16-2005, 04:42 AM
Lastly, the reel you gave me, is an ornemental packaged piece of crap, absolutley no offense to the person/people who made it (seriously, I just disagree with icing when the cake isn't my liking).

Being offended by someone saying your reel sucks and then say the same about someone elses isnt really being constructive. By the way, Liquid Development is one of the best contract companies within the game industry:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/contractor_display.php?contractor_id=1312
http://www.liquiddevelopment.com/

Getting back to your reel, I think you would be better off using a stylized maneqin rig as mentioned, and get in some of those secondary motions into your animation. When you are happy with all the animations and overall style of them, you could use some transition between each clip or atelast some interesting cutting, that would make the flow of your reel better. Adding music of some fitting kind could add quality and help communicating your animations.

rnton22
10-16-2005, 05:16 AM
..............................................................................................
Sorry for the empty post, took away my reply

hsi
10-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Lastly, the reel you gave me, is an ornemental packaged piece of crap

I loved that reel. it was like Blizzard quality.

and it doesnt matter if itīs pre-rendered or not. an animation-reel is more to show off character emotions and what you can make out of them, not exactly if you can make em work in real-time or not....

i believe in nice, stylish presentations. (didnt see yourīs though, since the file is gone)

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2005, 06:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.