PDA

View Full Version : book advice

rustymclellan
10-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Hello,

I was hoping to recieve some advice on which book to buy next. I'm about to finish Learning Maya 5: Character Rigging and Animation. I was wondering what the next logical progression would be. For those who haven't read this book, it covers basic skeletal setup with IK solvers, constraints, SDK's, influences, smooth/rigid skinning, membership tool, flexors, and blend shapes. I was thinking about getting Inspired 3d character seup by Michael Ford or
Inspired 3D Advanced Rigging and Deformations by Brad Clark. I heard the latter was exceptionally good, but would like to hear if others think this would be a good purchase for my rigging level. So, for anyone who has read any of these books, please leave some input!

Dialector
10-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Check out "The art of Rigging" vol1.

http://cgtoolkit.com/book1.htm

Its an excellent book with 9 hours of tutorial videos. It will advance your rigging knowledge.

MunCHeR
10-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Yep the art of rigging is excellent, and great value i'm looking forward to volumes 2 and 3, i would also recommend Jason Osipa's book "Stop Staring"

Stop Staring - Facial Animation Done Right (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141293/qid=1129456749/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-6995982-1458517?v=glance&s=books)

MunCH

rustymclellan
10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I picked up Osipa's Stop Staring book this summer. Its excellent! I also purchased the art of rigging as well. It looks aweome! Can't wait to delve into it! Thanks for the advice!

Morganism
10-17-2005, 06:24 PM
MEL Scripting for Maya Animators.

You gotta learn mel. :)

suitepeas
10-18-2005, 07:09 PM
hi morgan!!! the art of rigging of course. and ill say i told ya so cause it is a good book.

donShole
10-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Well, what can I say, the Art of Rigging is the way to go.

M.E.L.
10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Art of Rigging gets my vote, covers great stuff.

of course you'll also need Analytical Theory of Rocket Science and Jet Propulsion to really bang out some quality rigs as well ;)

-s

rustymclellan
10-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey everyone,

Just curious, I ordered my art of rigging over the weekend, and I got a confirmation from the company that does the billing, but have yet to see any notification from any at CGtalk. Is this normal that it takes a few days to process or am I mistaken and their is actually no confirmation associated with anyone outside those who take care of the financials?

Rocket Science? I used to do that =) This turned out to be a lot more interesting ;)

Dialector
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey everyone,

Just curious, I ordered my art of rigging over the weekend, and I got a confirmation from the company that does the billing, but have yet to see any notification from any at CGtalk. Is this normal that it takes a few days to process or am I mistaken and their is actually no confirmation associated with anyone outside those who take care of the financials?

Rocket Science? I used to do that =) This turned out to be a lot more interesting ;)

The same thing happened to me. I got no comfirmation form the company that made the book, but got the book in good time anyways.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.