PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question- Maya poly to Vue 5

roger1980boy
10-15-2005, 05:54 AM
i've created a aircraft in maya and finished texturing it with the uv mapping created inside maya.the material is phong with color map, bump map and specularity map connected. now i want to export the polyAircraft to vue5 to animation the aircraft flying through the sky of a city.

i've exported the polygon in .obj file format and try to import it inside vue5. however, it seems there r some problem with locating the texture maps, and as a result, the aircraft lost all of its textures in vue5.

i've got a few questions regarding this,

1. is the matarial with color texture, bump map, specualrity mapping are included in the obj file as we export it from maya??

2. if the material can not be included in obj, and i have to recreated it inside vue 5, is the uv mapping created inside maya still works the same in vue5??

3. with ecosystem in vue5, can i create endless city ,so when i animate it , i actually don't need to worried about the edge of the city???

thank you for your concern folks.

Wabe
10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
obj. There should be a mtl-file be created with the obj one. This contains the information about materials (textures etc). A lot of programs don't export that correctly, a lot don't import that correctly. That is why obj always is a little difficult. AND, sometimes it ONLY works when you have the bitmap textures in the same folder as the obj-file.

That is - when i understood it correctly - how DAZ Studio to Bryce did it. The collected all textures in a folder and then placed the obj there as well. But that is maybe voodoo.

I prefer - just because of this trouble - other formats instead for bringing meshes into Vue. lwo is an option, cob or 3DS (what i prefer). Less trouble. Or different ones! :D

Endless city. Nothing is endless - in real life and in 3D. So it is the same in Infinite. You can only do ecosystems on limited objects, not on endless planes (obviously in a way). Think simply about how to spread out the things on an endless plane - how many items for ecoing would you need?

But you can make the plane you do your eco-city on pretty big - and the houses relative small so that you get a lot of space to fly around.

roger1980boy
10-16-2005, 06:25 AM
obj. There should be a mtl-file be created with the obj one. This contains the information about materials (textures etc). A lot of programs don't export that correctly, a lot don't import that correctly. That is why obj always is a little difficult. AND, sometimes it ONLY works when you have the bitmap textures in the same folder as the obj-file.

That is - when i understood it correctly - how DAZ Studio to Bryce did it. The collected all textures in a folder and then placed the obj there as well. But that is maybe voodoo.

I prefer - just because of this trouble - other formats instead for bringing meshes into Vue. lwo is an option, cob or 3DS (what i prefer). Less trouble. Or different ones! :D

Endless city. Nothing is endless - in real life and in 3D. So it is the same in Infinite. You can only do ecosystems on limited objects, not on endless planes (obviously in a way). Think simply about how to spread out the things on an endless plane - how many items for ecoing would you need?

But you can make the plane you do your eco-city on pretty big - and the houses relative small so that you get a lot of space to fly around.

thank u!! man. it's really detailed explanation, and definitely help me to understand the program, thanks again.

well, i previously thought that the obj file have already included the texture into the single obj file... it sounds ridiculous to u , rite?

so, do u mean that i should export it as 3ds?? well, any plugin for maya to export 3ds format file??:)

bruno021
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, I don't know about Maya, but I know cinema4D has an expot option, where you can choose between all the formats Cinema can export too. I'm pretty sure Maya does the same.
3ds export is good in Vue, but be careful: 3ds for mat only accepts 8 characters maximum for names of sub parts of your objects, and for the texture names, and if the textures aren't in the same folder as your exported object, Vue will ask you to find the file yourself. But once Vue was pointed to the first missing image map, it will automatically load the others ( but again if they're in the same folder), AND if they don't have more than 8 characters in their name.
If I were you, I'd go for .lwo export if Maya does it. Bump map is applied, as well as transparencies without you having to redo it all in Vue. But sometimes with .lwo, you'll have to chage proportions of diffuse lighting, which is sometimes set to 100%, which makes your object emit light, instead of only receiving it.

daveh113
10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I use Maya and Vue and have found that 3ds works best so far. You will have to make sure the textures tab is on in Maya when you export so it will save each texture as a jpg format. Then in vue you can import and if the textures are located in the same folder as the 3ds file it will link it up for you. But you may want to move the texture maps to the C:\Program Files\e-on software\Vue 5 Infinite\Bitmaps\Textures directory so if you network render...rendercow wonít have a problem locating the texture maps. If you do move the files to the C directory vue will tell you it could not find the texture maps but has found a match in the C:\Program Files\e-on software\Vue 5 Infinite\Bitmaps\Textures would you like to use them...say yes and it will link to that directory.

Now I have noticed that if you donít use image maps in Maya then the image maps donít work to well if they work at all. Meaning if you use Maya texture nodes and not actual .jpg image maps the textures that export out to 3ds may not look like the same textures in Maya. I do know that image maps work fine.

Hope this helps.

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.