PDA

View Full Version : Question: Illegal Tshirt?

bism
10-15-2005, 05:01 AM
We are working on a video project to be released on DVD. The main speaker is on screen for about an hour wearing tshirt with a popular bank on it (which is not related to the topic of the video) We were wondering if there are any legal issues with showing this shirt or if we have to try and make it illegible.

The shirt and band are never mentioned and there are no activities that would (commonly) be considered objectionable taking place. Is this a case of free advertising for the band or a liability for us?

Thanks for any input

Matty2Phatty
10-15-2005, 02:51 PM
There are no legal issues with that.

Though if you hurt their business in any way, they can sue

bism
10-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I cannot imagine their business taking a hit from this video, but then again, stranger things have happened. What is the reason you sometimes see a shirt blurred out on the news or MTV? Is it objectionable content on the shirt?

I would hate to have a situation where the DVDs are printed and someone say "woops, look there" and have to fix. I am also not too keen on the idea of having to blur out a shirt on a little over an hour of footage.

Thanks again for the reply

Matty2Phatty
10-16-2005, 10:11 AM
The reason MTV do it is because they're not the cool rebels they want you to think they are.

If i was sponsored by Coke i'd blur out any Pepsi's in my scene (for example). They have to please their executive producers.

As for the news, they have to remain neutral to any product placement, because they're "unbiased"... all comments on that aside, that's why they won't advertise products.

Your little project should have little trouble. Unless, again... you do something like burn the t-shirt.

bism
10-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Great. Glad to hear its not such a big deal.. We have had a "test screening" and the major comment was about that shirt, so, I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

sergioKomic
10-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Great. Glad to hear its not such a big deal.. We have had a "test screening" and the major comment was about that shirt, so, I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

If the major comment was for the T Id say, take it of! I wouldnt want anything to interfeer( <<sp?) with the shot.... (like oooh look at the T-shirt its cool,or ....)

bism
10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Truth is, we would like to get the shirt out. We keep going back and forth as to whether or not we are going to. Problem is all the removal procedure seems to be a major pain in the @$$. We have a little over an hour that needs to be dealt with and its not a simple track to get this done. Do people roto an entire hour?

BTW. I miss spoke before. The major comment of concern was about the shirt. We always hope to present a project with content interesting enough to disallow distraction by t-shirt. :) Thanks for the reply. If you have a good solution for this roto problem please let me know.

Velk
10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Guess I really don't see the problem here, that is a lot of footage but you're not (at least you shouldn't be) doing it frame by frame. If the shirt is a concern just blur it out. The render will suck a bit because of the length but it won't take as long as it has been discussed so far. Better to be safe than sorry, just do it!

sergioKomic
10-25-2005, 08:53 AM
The major comment of concern was about the shirt. We always hope to present a project with content interesting enough to disallow distraction by t-shirt.

Okay.... sorry about that I missunderstood!...

About the removal, Id go with velk's (blur) way , tho now that the whole focus/concern matter is clarified, I dont think it would matter much....

bism
10-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Ok, I think I will try a demo removal on a few minutes of footage to see how it looks. Problem is he does some crucial informative hand gestures that might be hard to isolate in front of this shirt without roto.

Anyone know how to fake the "large pixel squares" that you sometimes see on the news? Rather than the blur which might just look strange/distracting over an hour period.

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. I will just have to play with it some more I guess.

Velk
10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
All Depends, what software package are you using? :)

bism
10-28-2005, 09:24 PM
We are pretty much using anything adobe. We have a demo that looks ok (talking about the news type pixel blocks) but it is obviously not the same thing. Certainly not a crucial thing nor that important but the blurry technique looks too much like we tried and failed to (seamlessly) erase the shirt rather than just making it obvious from the beginning.

Thanks again

Yossarian!
11-02-2005, 02:21 AM
If you are going down the blur/roto path, it may be worth while to contact the band personally and check if they have an issue with it in the first place. If they don't not, don't bother stessing about taking it out (unless its too distracting or whatever)

Velk
11-02-2005, 12:04 PM
We are pretty much using anything adobe. We have a demo that looks ok (talking about the news type pixel blocks) but it is obviously not the same thing. Certainly not a crucial thing nor that important but the blurry technique looks too much like we tried and failed to (seamlessly) erase the shirt rather than just making it obvious from the beginning.

Thanks again
I'm not sure how to do what you are wanting in After Effects, so I can't offer any advise there—I'm sure there must be a way to do it though.

Yossarian!
11-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Its doable in AE, although a serious lot of work to fine tune 1 hour of footage. Just get a decent track on the shirt text, apply that to a rough mask in a precomp covering the text, then use the precomp to cut a hole in the source footage revealing a clean plate underneath. Then roto out the hands and obstructions. If there is any detail on the shirt (creases, highlights, etc) then the job becomes a lot harder. Can you post a sample shot?

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2005, 09:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.