PDA

View Full Version : Animated Vines

MajinMatt
10-15-2005, 03:04 AM
hey guys,

In my forest scene I want to have vines coming out of my tree and rushing towards the camera. I know the most obvious way to do this would be to use Spline IK and just manually animated several dozen vines moving along some spline paths, but is there any other ways (eg quicker, easier), e.g using pflow?

Cheers.

Ian Jones
10-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Try the pathdeform modifier on a cylinder with a taper modifier set to -1.95, then animate the percentage along the pathdeform, or the stretch, and increase the cylinder radius slowly to make it thicken along the base. You can animate the verts and beziers on the path to make the vine look a bit more convincing in its movement. I have just done this recently and it looks great.

Aldarion
10-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Could you specify how exactly you did it, perhaps show some image or a part of the scene or something...I'd be really glad to look at it. Thanks.

tcbcoolscene
10-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Not exactly sure how exactly you want it. But you could use reactor rope for it.

ps, haha my name is matt and i'm also from sydney, heck what are the ods!

Ian Jones
10-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Sorry, don't have the time to elaborate right now. Just play with a cylinder with plenty of vertical segments and a spline, use the pathdeform modifier on the cylinder selecting the spline as the deforming path. Now just play with the pathdeform settings and I'm sure you'll begin to get the idea of how I used it.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2005, 04:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.