PDA

View Full Version : Ca-Caw! Birdie

TwitchyHamster
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Just a quick ambient critter for the environment. He will be in the opening shot. ;)
I am also pretty sure he will make a quick appearence with the shaman chicky as well.

Modeled- textured in about 8 hours. If I were to do him again, I would do the head differently. Not sure I am happy with the final result. He's not really modeled after a particular style of bird, sorta a jumble of birds (fantasy & real) and my imagination.

I am happy with my textures ( but not those sloppy I've been up a trillion hours UV's.) Feathers are such a pain in the butt.

As always, thoughts are appreicated and welcomed!

-Twitchy

http://www.twitchyhamster.com/imgs/HawkFlash.jpg

http://www.twitchyhamster.com/cgtalk/HawkThingWire.jpg

jellywerker
10-13-2005, 10:16 PM
2900 or 290 poly's?

AdamAtomic
10-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Nice! The only things I would tweak here are the shape of the head and the muddiness of the downy feathers. I'd like to see the beak maybe go a little higher on the head - those large brow ridges seem out of place to me, with those big beautiful wings.

hsi
10-13-2005, 10:38 PM
2900 or 290 poly's?

iŽd go for 290 :)

great texture by the way!

TwitchyHamster
10-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Know what Adam, Your right, maybe I just dont have the beak placed high enough.
I will check the feathers. Do they look muddy in both the render and the texture? If not I see that the render shots the light is a little intense on the whites. =)

And yes 2900 polys-- All of them in the feet. My school is on a "high-low" poly kick. If I try and submit something less than 2500 polys they won't accept it. Well there is no exact rule on this but its what I gather. They are pushing people to make higher poly models. If I was to do this for an actual game engine I would drasticly reduce the talons.

"Do the chickens have large talons!??" Napoleon Dynamite

-Twitchy

aesir
10-14-2005, 02:24 AM
yea... WAY too many polys for this to be used as an ambient creature in a game. Tell your school that they are WRONG in how they grade, and turn in something that you can put in your portfolio.

blz
10-14-2005, 02:40 AM
very good one
i like the texturing
keep up the good work

DeadBoy
10-14-2005, 02:55 AM
[And yes 2900 polys-- All of them in the feet. My school is on a "high-low" poly kick. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone is a Full Sail Student, hehehe. The teachers there never know what tthey want:).

I love the design, and you did a kick-arse texture job- would love to see a simple animation. Are you planning on rigging it, or using blendshapes for the wings?? If you're using this on a demo/websit, I would suggest taking the polycount down a bit in the feet so that the model is 290 polys. Then you got yourself an original game model- not many birds on demos these days...

keep it up!

SHEPEIRO
10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
love it, your texture skills are getting better and better, but as Adam says, the head is a little ugly, for those beau wings, i was thinking a small, hawk/perigiune falcon head, with one of those masks on would be more approprait.

have you thought about adding a slight transparency to the wings (2%), and using a transluscent effect, as though the lights coming through. if your using 2900 polys and those texture maps for ambient creature, then an effect like this could be well within your budget. Thats really bad of your school to put restrictions like that on you, loads of skills can be learnt, through ultra low poly/texture work.

keep it up.

PKD
10-15-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the texture is great. :thumbsup:
I would suggest that you distribute the polygons more evenly & effectively (Maybe its a bit too late at this point of time).
I believe what your school wanted to see from student is not about using a certain amount of poly cap given, but rather how effectively a student is using the polygons given to him/her.
The talons are also taking too much of texture space in my opinion.

Anyway, keep it up.

TwitchyHamster
10-15-2005, 02:36 PM
PKD-- Thanks! Yes I would totally do the UV's over again if I had the chance. ;) As I mentioned it was a long day when I layed them out haha. I should have waited until the morning to do them. *grin*

Since I posted this, I have also trimmed up the polys. He's sitting at around 2k polys now total with them more evenly distributed. He is also more of a secondary character than a "ambient"...my bad for calling him a background character when in fact he will be front in center quite often.

Anyways, he's all rigged up and flapping happily now! Look to see him soon on my demo reel.

-Twitchy

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2005, 02:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.