PDA

View Full Version : What 3D ap is used in the industry

JuddWack
10-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Everyone I know who has actually worked at game companies say every job they had used Maya. Everyone I know who has never worked in the industry says every company uses Max. Also a lot of people here I noticed use Max.

I'm really starting to get the hang of Maya but I want to know if I should make the switch now. I hoping to get a job in about 2 years as an entry level modeler. Should I stick with Maya or switch?

Thanks guys. Any other advice on how to spend these next 2 years would be helpful too.

eMPeck
10-13-2005, 08:59 PM
I think more important is not what app You use, but what You can do with app You already know.

I use XSI at work, and I had to switch from max. It wasn't that hard, I've switched within two weeks. Of course at start I wasn't able to use XSI just like max, but I could model and unwrap what I modeled quite easy. Oh, and I love XSI already :)

Headless
10-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Just learn the concepts with whatever app you're comfortable with and switch if you ever need to. It's been said so many times but: the app is just the tool.

Ok, to be fair alot of job listings do ask for certain apps, but if you have an exceptional portfolio, most places will probably be willing to give you a few weeks to switch to their app.

In terms of what is actually used, for modelling and texturing then I would say that Max is still the most used program. For animation i'm not so sure anymore. It used to be Max/Character Studio, but there's probably just as many if not more asking for either Maya or Motionbuilder now. Some places will give you the choice out of those apps, like "must have stong animation skills and a good knowledge of either 3D Studio Max, Character Studio, or Motionbuilder", or something like that.

XSI is used in the games industry, but mainly in Japan. There are some studios that use it in the west, (Valve, Lionhead, etc), but compared to Max and Maya it's not so big over here.

Really the best way to get an idea of what people are using is, as I say, to look at job listings and see what people are asking for, but to be honest if you're using either Max or Maya then you've got nothing to worry about.

JuddWack
10-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Is character studio what I've been seeing for all those animation and rigging demo reels that keep making front page?

the_podman
10-14-2005, 02:37 AM
TD reels and Animation reels are almost all Maya, but I've seen a handful of Character Studio animation reels that are pretty kickarse.

Since your goal is to become an entry-level modeler, the app doesn't really matter so much imo. I could never understand why many people that post their 2 cents on "X" app is better than "Y" app are modelers only. I use Wings3d for modeling sometimes and it's really not that much of a difference than Maya. The only thing I would think would become an issue is if you have a modest PC. XSI 5 supposedy can push a lot of polys in the realtime viewport without slowing down. It's also very affordable.

I think the differences are going to be clearer to you if/when you start to get into character setup and animation. I was learning Max at first, but Character Studio was limited(at the time) for what I wanted to do, animation wise, so I went with Maya.

....but I'm no pro :)

-pod

JuddWack
10-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah I think my PC is holding me back some. I could probably be 2 months ahead of schedule right now if I had a decent PC.

I'm hoping to get a job as a JET in Japan this June. I don't know if you have heard of it but id be an assistant to an english teacher in a Japanese public school. It pays pretty well and leaves you a lot of free time. Well I'm hoping to buy a pretty decent laptop to bring over there and practice with for a year, so I'll have to stick it out with this POS for a few more months.

But do "entry-level" modelers even exist or am I creating this position in my head? It seems like everyone is so far ahead of the game already. I'm willing to relocate anywhere though. I want to visit as much of this small planet as I can.

Stormgetto
10-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Where I work people use lighwave and Maya, right now I`m using Maya but I came from 3DS max, so I belive first of it, be confident in 3D I mean, and once you know pretty much about 3D, and techniques is quite fast to swicth between software.
Some software seems diferent like ZBRUSH but I never tried so I cannot say, but polygon, nurbs, mesh, vertex, etc etc is all the same in any 3d software.
And if you really coming to Japan, let me know, we can go for a drink.

urgaffel
10-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Is character studio what I've been seeing for all those animation and rigging demo reels that keep making front page?

The one with the bird that is on frontpage now is Messiah (insane squash and stretch stuff) and the other one is Maya I think. Some have been in max, some in XSI. TD's usualy don't bother much with Character studio since it's pretty much setup already. It's more impressive to display a skeleton you've created yourself if you see what I mean.

Kind of like the difference between showing a model you've modeled and textured yourself and a poser model that you've added details to.

Gordon Moran
10-14-2005, 06:37 AM
JuddWack: That's funny. I taught English in Taiwan for 2 years to save up enough money to go to computer animation school! Only worked for 5 hours a day, and saved up enough to pay the hefty tuition of animation school. I'd definately recommend it, good luck!

itsallgoode9
10-14-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd say, between max and maya it doesn't really matter which one you'd learn. I use both, but learned maya first...and I gotta say that I can't imagine having learned max first and then moving to maya...That would just be a nightmare I think due to differences in workflows of the two programs. I think it'd be better to learn Maya first personally. Here at my studio we are using Max..althought we might be switching to a new program by the end of the year.

kaylon
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
As Max (AutoDesk) now owns Maya we will probably see lotsa change in the next year...We use Max at work.. and I've always used Max, for the past 10 years or so...

Not sure what AutoDesk plan todo but I see a combo of Max and maya soon...no more "which is Better" or "who usees Max and who uses Maya" crap anymore....

To add info to your question... Max is by far ($1.2 billion per year compared to $80 million for Maya) popular sales wise.

K.

ninjacore
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I use max at my work. i think the whole place is max, dunno if the animators use anything different.

Maybe best you learn the basics of both, and then what ever one your comfortable with, stick with that. cos once you learn how to go about making something, its pretty much the same no matter what app you use, just the buttons will be arranged differntly. And max is easy to use.

as for "entry level modeller". thats kinda what i went for when i was looking for a job. my reel consisted of characters, environmental work and some props. But i wasnt too fussed where i would start. i got offered props and i really like it. TONS of work, but you can fire things out really quickly, as compared to say, the characters.

doing the JET thing sounds awsome. i read one guys account of his experiance and it was friggin hilarious.

dno1982
10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi there,

Where I work I use Maya. However before working here I had been using 3d studio max for 3 years. I got the job here with no experience whatsoever with Maya, however it was the quality of what I was able to achieve in max that got me the job. Best advice, master your chosen package to a level that you are able to produce some stunning work, then your portfolio should get you a job as opposed to what you used to make it. You will find that if a company sees you have talent, they will snap you up and nurture you into their ways and means of working if needs be.

TheShow
10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
3DS MAX (I'm a environment modeler/texture artitst/ animator)
Switched from Maya (practically overnight)

I have used Max, Maya, and Lightwave extensivly - all in professional reguards, and I have grown to like MAX the best for gaming workflow.

Athey
10-14-2005, 08:08 PM
We're using 3dsmax at the Sony Studio I work at right now. I know they also use 3dsMax at Rainbow Studios in Phoenix, cuz I almost got a job there, and when I went down there they were using max.

From the places I interviewed at, back during my job hunt, I'd say it was about a 50/50 split between studios that used Maya and studios that used Max.

I say its important to know both. You don't have to be as good with both programs, just be familiar with both. If you can use more than one app, you won't be so limited and it'll be easier to switch if and when it's ever needed.

I know some studios use XSI, but I've never actually interviewed with one, nor do I know anyone who works at one.... so it's a safer bet to learn Maya and Max, and if you ever do end up in a position to use XSI... you'll just have to adjust. heh.

Don't bother with Lightwave - I haven't heard of a studio still using lightwave in years.

toebee_1
10-14-2005, 09:36 PM
I know maya and max, and at work we use max and character studio for animation

Its best I think to learn one strong, and its easy to take a couple weeks to pick up a new ap. I learned max first, and picked up maya basics in a few weeks.

HellBoy
10-14-2005, 10:37 PM
do you guys think this will change one day, you know studios move on from Max to another app?

just wanna know

itsallgoode9
10-15-2005, 12:07 AM
do you guys think this will change one day, you know studios move on from Max to another app?

just wanna know

I"ve be4en reading and hearing from other poeple in the industry that maya has been gaining alot of ground in the video game industry with things being able to be more advanced in the next gen games.

Athey
10-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Well Epic used Max and switched to Maya for a few years, but now they've switched back to Max. I've heard of a few other studios that switched to Maya a few years back that are swiching back to Max. It just goes backand forth. I think in the end it's always safer to know more then one program.

You could be working at a studio that only uses Max and then start working at another studio that uses Maya. Or the studio you're working for could switch. Being at least a little familiar with both is best.

Plus its really ahrd to say what's gonna happen from this point on. Autodesk now owns BOTH maya and max.

They actually stated in the FAQ they released about the purchase that they intended to focus future versions of Max for maximum compatability with game studios, while focusing maya more towards the movie industry. Just something to take into account.

heavyness
10-15-2005, 12:51 AM
some studios use both. max for modeling, maya for animation.

most [in the seattle area] use maya, but i've found some studios who use 3ds max.

i went to school, learned max. teaching myself maya.

go with the one that feels more natural.

G0st
10-15-2005, 03:45 AM
After 4-5 years of learning maya, i had to learn max when i started at ubisoft.
The thing is once you understand a program its not that hard transfering your knowledge over.
I taught myself max in 2 weeks and am learning new things every week.
I can say XSI is used as well, but for cinematics

G0st

HellBoy
10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
so its between Maya and Max. yea aren't they using XSI for MGS4?

Mio
10-15-2005, 03:43 PM
which software is using is not important so much..

the only important thing is what can u do with those tools..

max,xsi,maya ,all of them are great 3d app...

but in game industry..max is widely use first..

and some company choose maya , yes maya is cool and the maya complete is cheap than max, and good enough for most game company..

xsi 's nla system is damn good.. as i know , some company used si3d before move to xsi already , and some other company involve the XSI into their pipeline bcuz the damn cool nla system of XSI!

as a good game artist , whatever which software u r using.. u still good.

so... do not think too much about this... just pick the one u like

and......

Let's roooooooooock! :D:D:D

StrangeFate
10-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Most studios will let you model in whatever app you want. As long as you can export your work properly, it's usually not an issue, provided you won't be doing animation.
Farms like EA/Sony/Ubi might prefer to enforce a single app, it's cheaper to upgrade and keep clean with large teams.

Max is a dinosaur that needs a rewriting badly, has strong tools but hardly anything innovative compared to the other packages. XSI is great, just has an annoying interface and (for me) slow modeling workflow (too many popups etc), has some awesome features and solid tools tho.
I'd probably recommend maya, although if it's really going to be aimed towards the movie industry it probably wont benefit you in the long run, then again, even if it's true, studios using it wont switch over night to something else because of that.

I personally use modo at work and wouldn't want to go back to any other app for modeling. Like said, as long as you can get the stuff into the engine, it shouldn't matter what you use.

Stormgetto
10-16-2005, 04:38 AM
We're using 3dsmax at the Sony Studio I work at right now. I know they also use 3dsMax at Rainbow Studios in Phoenix, cuz I almost got a job there, and when I went down there they were using max.

From the places I interviewed at, back during my job hunt, I'd say it was about a 50/50 split between studios that used Maya and studios that used Max.

I say its important to know both. You don't have to be as good with both programs, just be familiar with both. If you can use more than one app, you won't be so limited and it'll be easier to switch if and when it's ever needed.

I know some studios use XSI, but I've never actually interviewed with one, nor do I know anyone who works at one.... so it's a safer bet to learn Maya and Max, and if you ever do end up in a position to use XSI... you'll just have to adjust. heh.

Don't bother with Lightwave - I haven't heard of a studio still using lightwave in years.

Don't say that, about lightwave. I know it is not the most wonderful app, but here at Atlus studio in japan some people still prefer to use Lightwave for some works.
To be honest I don't use lightwave cause I never needed to learn it.
And some of the studio around here in japan like namco or capcom still use lightwave, obviously is not just lightwave they have max, maya, but lightwave was well accepted long time ago, so some studio and older people who works in here prefer to use lightwave.
Yes it is true, Lightwave is getting out of market, even the software box is getting dusty here, but you don't have to say "Don't bother ", it cruel for a software that help it out the creation of all generation of games and 3d apps.
I'm getting too dramatic here, let me smoke and will be all fine...

PetterSundnes
10-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Don't say that, about lightwave. I know it is not the most wonderful app, but here at Atlus studio in japan some people still prefer to use Lightwave for some works.
To be honest I don't use lightwave cause I never needed to learn it.
And some of the studio around here in japan like namco or capcom still use lightwave, obviously is not just lightwave they have max, maya, but lightwave was well accepted long time ago, so some studio and older people who works in here prefer to use lightwave.
Yes it is true, Lightwave is getting out of market, even the software box is getting dusty here, but you don't have to say "Don't bother ", it cruel for a software that help it out the creation of all generation of games and 3d apps.
I'm getting too dramatic here, let me smoke and will be all fine...

Being a LightWave user and making realtime graphics I can say its capable for sure, but in terms of companies actually using it for games... not many when compared to those who use Max and Maya. Thats just plain simple facts. That said, creators of Serious Sam and Burnout 3 use it as their main 3d app, and for Doom3 contractors were using it for their content, so its not like it is totally gone from the market, only underepresented.

Full list of "where it's been used" is available here:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/projects.php#game

Btw, skinned/weightmapped and bone-animated models can easily be transferred from LW to 3DS Max via the FBX format. Works brilliantly, I have only had a little problem the other way around.

A polygon is a polygon, regardless of where it was created (atleast in my world :)

the_podman
10-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Hey, Stormgetto. Working for Atlus, that's really cool. They have made some great games! I'm a big fan of that company. I saw many Atlus CoinOp games in Japan over the summer and they seemed to have a strong presence wherever there was arcades.

I've been seeing this PS2 game "summoner" in weekly famitsu a lot these days from Atlus and it looks incredible:

http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/summoner/system/system001.html

Hopefully, it'll see a US release. Sorry to go off topic. :)

-Rod

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2005, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.