PDA

View Full Version : Alignment of photos?

IestynRoberts
10-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Hello all. Im kinda new to Photoshop, but im slowly getting there, thanks to the amazing wealth of knowledge available on sites like this and books. However, i have'nt come across a tutorial that might help me out?

What im want to do is align two images planes together so that i can model them in my 3d app. So say i have 2 different photos, taken from front view, and the other side view, say of a face - how on earth would you in Photoshoop make the two guys align correctly so that the eyes was in line with the eyes, mouth with mouth etc etc? Im kinda struggling with this one, i can get the eyes and nose to be correct but the the chin is way out of whack or something else goes wrong, so i find it hard to get the proper shaes when modeling.
Can anyone suggest a tutorail or give me some pointers as to which way to do this?
Many thanks people.
Iest

reven
10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
i think i am understanding what you are wanting to do...you would need to bring both images into one file of photoshop and place them "adjacent" to each other... but on different layers...when you use the selection tool, turn on the bounding box and then you can scale and rotate the images to essentially line up...hope that is what you were wanting to achieve!

spmonahan
10-13-2005, 07:29 PM
There are few things you'll want to be aware of if you intend to get your front and profile views to align properly.

1) Make sure to maintain the same perspective and distance from the subject when taking the photos (hint: use a tripod or some other method the keep the camera in place).

2) Open both the images in PS and place them into the same document. The best way to do this is create a new document that is large enough to contain your photographs.

3) Do all your aligning in this new document. When you've got everything lined up you can then use the rectangular selection tool to copy the front view, create a new document and then paste the view. Do the same for the profile view so that each view is it's own document. All that is left is to save the files and load them into your 3D software of choice.

I find it useful to make sure that both the front and profile images have the same height so that they can then be aligned easily in 3D space.

IestynRoberts
10-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Excellent! Just what i was looking for! Thanks a lot guys.

I like the idea of using a tripod to hold the camera, excellent, thanks, i'll go and try it out right away
Iest

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2005, 12:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.