PDA

View Full Version : Search inside (mel) files in WinXP

Haider of Sweden
10-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi

When I worked on Win2k it was very simple just to write a word or string when I needed to search for something inside another file, mostly mel.

However, it seems not to work with XP - maybe I am in the wrong forum, but I thought I could ask here since I am sure other MELlers do the same thing as I am looking for.

Any clue? Please, no blames on Bill Gates or other kind of replies :p

Robert Bateman
10-13-2005, 02:51 PM
i use textpad (http://textpad.com) to find in files....

(you can also get syntax highlighting for mel if you download the .syn file)

goleafsgo
10-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I have hit the same problem before and have given up trying to make it work. There must be some kind of setting somewhere for how the files are handled but I don't know where it is. If you change the file extension from .mel to something like .txt then it works fine.

When I am coding and I need to search inside files I do it from inside VisualStudio.

Haider of Sweden
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Gole, I agree with you - there must be some setting, and as you say, it works sometimes, for example with txt files.

However, I use UltraEdit - I wonder if anyonw knows if you can search from Ultra Edit...
Or even better, make it work direcly from XP

mhovland
10-13-2005, 04:56 PM
In UltraEdit use:

Search > Find In Files from the top menu bar.

You can also customize the toolbar by right clicking on it, and add the icon for "Find in Files" to the bar for one click access.

Still, you could go to the configuration panel, select Key Mapping Tab, and assign a keyborad shortcut to "SearchFindInfiles"

goleafsgo
10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Ok...this is annoying enough that I Googled around a bit and now have it working.
I found a description of the problem here. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/14/how_winxp_can_make_nonms/) But the link they provided at the bottom didn't work for me so I found a way to get it to work on the MSDN here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/indexsrv/html/ixrefreg_2r8z.asp).

I think files that don't have their extension registered correctly get skipped when searching on XP, but in 2000 they defaulted to be searched as regular text.

What I did was change the registry entry FilterFilesWithUnknownExtensions from 0 to 1 which will tell XP to not skip those extensions.

It's pretty standard to warn people before they go editing their registry that doing so can really screw things up...so if you don't know what you are doing then you may be better off not going this route.

Haider of Sweden
10-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanx Mike
Weired that I didnt notice that function before - I was looking once :-/
However, thats a great idea customizing the toolbar.

Thanx Gole; I havent tried that out yet, but I think it make sense that XP excludes files with unknown extensions.

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2005, 11:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.