PDA

View Full Version : How many of you artist have traditional painting experience?

-NG-
10-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Out of curiosity i wanted to ask how much of you have traditional art and paint expirience? I'm a beginner at painting and are trying to create my own style and am thinking of starting to follow a few evening classes of traditional still live painting, to get comfortable with the different techniques used so i can use the knowledge in digital painting.

I've got books from balistic, dvd's from gnonom and so on, but am not sure if those teach you fundementals in painting and illustration.

feldy
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
i have a tradtional background in painting and drawing but when i went to college for 3d i nevr eneded up painting agian

paperclip
10-13-2005, 05:50 PM
I do...been painting/drawing trad for the past 8 years ish. (more focused in the past 2 years)

I really believe that digital helps your trad painting and vice versa. You can get very rich colors in PS that's hard to get in trad. This will help you with your color sense. Also you can practice painting with your wacom-- you get to learn, but without the mess/waste of good paints. Everyone wins! :thumbsup:

reven
10-13-2005, 06:03 PM
i have studied art from the traditional sense...watercolor, sumi-e, sculpting, color and design...

and i think, all of this lends itself to working on the computer...i still sketch constantly, on all my notes for what to buy for dinner:) i think watercolor was especially helpful to the thinking when working with pixels and light and color...and in terms of working in 3d, i think my high school drafting was great...but, i am about to get a big sketch pad and start refining my work in terms of imaginative and fantasy drawing!

radha
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi there,

I have a background in traditional painting - oils, watercolor. I do landscapes, seascapes, backgrounds, stills, figures - in photorealism. I did a Bachelor's of Fine Arts in Painting, just finished my degree!. I was originaly going to teach college level art... but now my passions have turned towards animation - more so Digital Painting/Background Painting, possibly even Shading/Modeling/Lighting.

I'd love to find a school where i can use my traditional painting/drawing skills into 3D. I'd prefer a school that is less than 2 years. Possibly a master/grad program that allows fine art students? Or even an associates if i have to.

If anyone knows of a school who may even have a program dedicated to Background/Digital Painting PLEASE let me knoW!

I have been admitted to the Digital Animation & Visual Effects school! Thats one option for me, anyone have any opions of it?

THanks,
Radha

reven
10-13-2005, 06:50 PM
i don't know where sterling heights is...i take classes at a community college in santa cruz...there is a digital media department and i am studying maya in the engineering tech department...so from my perspective if you are very self motivated...and want a little bit of structure...and access to programs so you can work out your own path...the advantage here is that you can spend as much time as you want...and if you are just begining to work on the computer...i think it takes much more time to get a handle on things and translate your artistry into 2d or 3d than you would think...i don't begin to get enough from either department and rely on tutorials and this sight for info in the real world of CG! this is an expensive area to live in! but it is also in the hub of one of the centers of the industry!

Lunatique
10-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Been painting traditionally since about 1987, and I really only started painting digitally around 2001.

RobertoOrtiz
10-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I paint in acrylics small pieces (18 x 24) and now and then I do mural work.

Been painting since I was 16 and drawing since I was 12.

-R

cipherL
10-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Been painting and drawing since I can remember....

SpeccySteve
10-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I used to paint a lot traditionally then stopped doing any art related stuff at all.

Just this week I thought "hmm, I really want to start painting again.." and went out and bought myself a few canvas boards and a set of oils, time to see if I can even remember how to use them..

-Steve

jmBoekestein
10-14-2005, 08:14 PM
*sticks two fingers high in the air*

oh...oh... I made two paintings with acrylics ... they sucked, but they're paintings allright.

Hugh-Jass
10-14-2005, 08:52 PM
I studied fine arts in university, BFA in painting and printmaking...

I used to enjoy doing a lot of work with oils/oilpastels washes with mineral spirits...but alas anything solvent now makes me far too dizzy... ( you can do really nice stuff with charcoal on heavy paper and brush it around with mineral spirits too but it all evaporates into your face as you work)

so these days i like watercolors, oilpastels ( no washes though )..I think nowadays I have an aversion to making a huge mess

SpeccySteve
10-15-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm a beginner at painting and are trying to create my own style and am thinking of starting to follow a few evening classes of traditional still live painting,

Do it.

You will learn so much, I cannot emphasise enough how much life drawing / painting from life will help.

Try it and see, it's not easy, it's not quick but there is NOTHING that will sort you out faster than a bit of life drawing.

-Steve

pushav
10-15-2005, 01:09 AM
I made a few strokes and they sucked. I never tried a real painting before. I wanted to until I found photoshop and painter. I may one day pick up the paintbrush again.

patchworksorceress
10-16-2005, 03:40 AM
I have a lot of traditional painting experience, mostly oils and water colors, and I find that it comes in handy when doing things in digital art. I can use my old techniques from natural media in the digital realm with no problem. I do nothing but digital art in my Game Art major but for art therapy I do traditional media. There's something nice about having a real piece of art in your hands that is really there and not just a bunch of ones and zeros in a computer.

raufaamir
10-16-2005, 10:32 AM
I am Graphic Designer.I have also traditional painting experience specialy pencil sketching since 1996. In these days I do my most of work on computer. I am still looking the way to work as traditional way in the computer. I am planing to buy Inous and Corel Painter for this purpose.

LadyAkuma
10-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't have any traditional painting experience. I was much too poor to even think about affording paints, and it was some sort of amazing luck that I was able to get Photoshop (someone sold me their unopened version for very little money because their parents had bought him CS). So I'm learning how to "paint" on the computer because that's the best I can do right now.

I plan on learning traditional paints in the future though. I still have to paint for school though...

-NG-
10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Do it.

You will learn so much, I cannot emphasise enough how much life drawing / painting from life will help.

Try it and see, it's not easy, it's not quick but there is NOTHING that will sort you out faster than a bit of life drawing.

-Steve

Same thing one of my instructors at school said. Somehow you seem to get the feeling much faster when you start out traditional first he said.

SpeccySteve
10-17-2005, 12:19 AM
I was much too poor to even think about affording paints,
I plan on learning traditional paints in the future though. I still have to paint for school though...

Traditional = Expensive is a popular myth, sure a tube of purest ultramarine is expensive but that tube will last you two years and if you're just starting out, buy the student range.

Canvas is expensive but you can paint on primered/sanded plywood or hardboard or whatever it's called in America.

Keep it out of direct sunlight and most of the cheap studenty ranges will survive for many years.
( put it this way, the most tested and lightfast of products are only guaruanteed for about 100 years under museum conditions..)

-NG-- go for it, it really will help, I can almost guarantee it...

adam-crockett
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I studied painting for 3 years at memphis college of art before I got sick of painting and switched to computer graphics and animation. I always preferred drawing. Its more direct, more immediate. I never cared for mixing the colors, diluting, cleaning the brushes (OH! the brushes, always cleaning the brushes!) Back when I was painting, my clothes were always filthy. I enjoy having clothes that are free of stains now!

Now If I feel like painting, I usually reach for markers, its more direct. Painting in photoshop with my wacom is wonderful too. I still crank out an oil painting every now and then, maybe once a year, simply to touch base with the medium again.

All that being said, I encourage you to spend a few years with the medium before moving on to digital painting exclusively. If for no other reason than to appreciate digital paint more!

Lync
10-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Back in the dim dark ages I did a little oil painting and a fair amount of pen n ink work. I am relatively new to the digital world, I guess, but it is SOOOOOOO much better. I fell into 3D in a big way but am now moving into 2D and photoshop.

Where's the undo button when you are painting?
Where's the copy/paste?

I just wish I had a wacom tablet :sad:

jrr
10-31-2005, 07:55 PM
i still do oil paintings and watercolors. i have a fine arts degree and all that junk.
right now most of my stuff is computer and 3d. there's something about oil paint that just rules so much.

sonicstrawbery
10-31-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm student in cg and i have a lot of traditional course this year, we must try the maximum of techniques to developp artistic capabilities but we got mainly watercolor and acrylic for painting, i must admit watercolor is not so bad, we can make pretty nice things like skies and rough design...

I agree with the fact that it's an expensive practice :) When you come with nothing and you got the list with brushes, paint,papers etc... ouch it hurts :\

Hugh-Jass
10-31-2005, 08:57 PM
I agree with the fact that it's an expensive practice :) When you come with nothing and you got the list with brushes, paint,papers etc... ouch it hurts :\

Cg isn't exactly cheap either (a whole lot more than any amount I ever spent on art supplies...)

pc 1000$.. 3d package~3000 etc etc

when's the last time you spent 4k on paint and brushes? FYI it's all relative you can make decent stuff with the children's watercolor's sets and a couple of decent brushes..spending under 10$ on that plus paper

Schwinnz
10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Traditional = Expensive is a popular myth
I don't think so, buying the material is expensive at first (when you get all the hardware). When you have all the tools you need, the only somewhat pricey stuff is the paper/boards and canvas.

Sanne-chan
11-01-2005, 08:41 AM
I tried it last year, but it didn't really worked out the way I had planned. the paint ended up everywhere but on the canvas, and thats why I prefer digital. You have an undo button ;)
I've been thinking about giving it another try, though.
I do create art the trditional way sometimes. I use colored pencils and markers, and there are times that i combine the traditional and digital. i draw something, scan it, and add a few extra "special effects" with the computer, like lensflares and texture. it's fun to see in how many ways you can combine the best of both worlds this way, I really recommend it!

AralX
11-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I have an experince at drawing with pincel and drawing on a canves with acrilic .. I dont know if that what you mean .. but it need paichants :p

ozhaver
11-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm more of an analog artist too, currently finishing my B.F.A. already completed my drawing concentration and now taking the last painting credits required to finish the paining concentration...

Digital is super fun though, no mess! and you don't swallow chemicals..

Jmsessn
11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I used to make traditional paintings mainly with gouache and water painting 8 to 10 years back. Too bad I gave it up.

Jmsessn
11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Digital is super fun though, no mess! and you don't swallow chemicals..

yeah but unfortunately you swallow heaps of radiation :/

RO
11-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Also trad here. I draw a good bit and the classes that have helped me the most are life figure drawing. That class helps you plenty imo. Once you have the idea of gesture you can gesture everything in the world and later detail it. I use to go into details first all the time and my works ended up badly. Figure drawing is a course to take. Another class is color theory. Color theory really helps you understand how colors act side by side and also helps you on setting up a composition based on color. Atm I do not have space for much trad so I paint mostly on my PC... Which is good I needed more practice painting in digital.

walrus
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
On top of the digital stuff I do, I try to put in a few hours on my watercolors every single week. I buy good paper, I buy decent brushes, I pay for classes... and the price of painting still doesn't apporach the cost of my computer, wacom tablet, etcetera.

I like that watercolors forces me to think in a different way than Photoshop does. And when I'm all done, there's a really cool feeling you get from holding in yourt hands the single, solitary copy of a piece, not one of an infinite possible number of hard-copies. Makes me appreciate the piece more. (You can sell it for more, too! :) )

-mike

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.