PDA

View Full Version : The last (i hope) question about hierarchy

zoc
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi people.
I've got a problem with RCA tubes of my character.
The tubes are the only thing that aren't in the group of my character (all other stuff are in, so i could move the robot everywhere). Tubes are the only things that are rigid bind to joint: all other stuff is parented to joint.
I leave out of membership the cv that are and at the start of tube, so the start part of the tube result nice and smooth. But, when i move the main group, that vertex remain in their position. If, instead, i put the group of tubes in the main group, when i move the main the tubes don't follow in the correct way all the other stuff.

http://www.zocdesign.com/treddi/tube.jpg

thanks again!

Dichotomy
10-12-2005, 05:34 PM
what it sounds like and looks like is that the joints that are skinned to the cords aren't parented to the rest of the skeleton... is that right? If that is the case then you just need to parent them to the main skeleton and they should follow it fine. If that isn't it, I would be happy to take a look at the file, if you can post it.

zoc
10-12-2005, 06:22 PM
all the joint are parented.
here is the file:
file (http://www.zocdesign.com/bigradio.zip)
thanks!

Dichotomy
10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
you are using 6.5 or 7 aren't you? I only have 6. send me the file as an .ma and I should be able to open it after tweaking the file... hopefully.

zoc
10-12-2005, 10:55 PM
here the .ma version:

FILE .MA (http://www.zocdesign.com/bigradio_ma.zip)

:applause:

Dichotomy
10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
alright, best and easiest fix, select the CV's that aren't moving, create a cluster, parent the cluster under joint (perno_cavi). That should fix it.
I would recommend though, that next time you have a piece of geometry like this, you should smoothBind them rather than rigidBind it. That would have solved a lot of the problems and would have made it a lot easier.

Craiger
10-14-2005, 03:43 AM
Couldn't you just add the points into the bind using the Edit Membership tool? Set their weight to 0 in the component and the parent relationship should drag them along for the ride. (as long as they aren't members of the top joint in the joint hirerarchy).

werd up

zoc
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
What do you mean? Those CV were inside the rigid bind, but they deformed the start point of the tubes... so with the membership tool i remove that cv...Sorry but i don't understand: "Set their weight to 0 in the component and the parent relationship should drag them along for the ride"... thank for you answers!

I try the method of Dichotomy and it work fine.
I don't use smooth bind for that tubes because it deform the volume, so i try with rigid and for the movement they have to do was enought.

Thanks people!

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.