PDA

View Full Version : Lowpolly old man with coat.

Palm
02-25-2002, 08:57 PM
My first lowpolly character.. Well. Its really my 4'th.. I did 2 back in 98 and another a couple of days ago.. But that one totaly sucked...:) Since I wasent familier with the lw uvw mapping system or how to mapp a character this way. Crit plz.

Cheers!.
http://diod.hd.chalmers.se/~palm/OldMan.jpg

dtek8
02-25-2002, 09:00 PM
awesome character, the texturing is wicked, how many polys is he it would be nice to see the mesh,,,

d

Palm
02-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Here you go.:)

http://diod.hd.chalmers.se/~palm/mech.jpg

Its 1752 pollys.. A little bit to much maybe..:/ Done in LW and a 512x512 texure and an additional 512x256 for the face.

The Magic Pen
02-25-2002, 11:43 PM
He looks good and the texture is great, but his fingers are freaky long!!!....but maybe it's the angle?

paranoy2k
02-26-2002, 01:13 AM
WOAHHH!!
Nice!!!

The only problems I can find in this characters are in proportions...
I think he woul look better with a smaller head and longer legs!

I really hope your model isn't too much subdivised man...

Because 1700 polygons seem to be really low compare to new gen console characters!!

Great work!!

jmringuet
02-26-2002, 04:22 AM
Wowowoh there! 1752 polys for a character is not that LOW even for a next gen console. Only in fighting games and a few rpg games can you have around 10,000 polys for a character. Knowing that a good next gen engine pushes around 35,000 polys a seconds onscreen (data for XBox), it would be stupid to throw away too much on the characters except if the game requires it.

So your character looks really nice and not too high poly. You did a good job with it. Congrats! :)

BoBo-the-seal
02-26-2002, 05:23 AM
Wow, all I can say is damn nice work! I really like what you did with his design.

The PC characters that we are currently making here at Ritual range from 1300 to 2000 polygons with full facial animation. A character like this could have been done at a smaller count but honestly he looks damn good, so 1700+ doesn't bother me.

BoBo

sigma
02-26-2002, 05:52 AM
Fantastic work Palm. That texture is incredible.
How many hours in Photoshop? Wacom tablet?
The only thing i would add is some hair on his chin.

Nice job :D

The Magic Pen
02-26-2002, 06:16 AM
Blackfish what are you smoking?? The x-box can push over 200,000 polys/frame with everything turned on.

http://xboxpower.vg-network.com/specs.htm

Errr you do relize that even on the Nintendo Gamecube in Rouge Squadron 2 they often had more then 250,000 polys on the screen and it got 60frms/sec so I am pretty sure the x-box can do a little better thn 35K polys/frame..stop puling numbers out of yer ass.

E_Moelzer
02-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Man, this is awesome!!!
Great work, I really love it!
The texturing is frigging- awesome!
Not to mention that the model is awesome too.
CU
Elmar

Palm
02-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the good feedback..:) It has motevated me to do some more..

I know the proportions are a bit off. I had them right at first but then I went fore the George Costanza look. (Seinfeld.;) And his proportions doen's fit at all..:)

Cheers.

jmringuet
02-26-2002, 11:56 PM
Magicpen: I'm not smoking anything. I'm also not stupid enough to get my numbers from the console manufacturers.
The Unreal engine (Unreal warfare) on XBox is pushing consistently 35,000 polys on the Xbox (with lighting, transparencies and what not) according to the developpers themselves. Now you can tell me that the programmers of the Unreal engine don't know what they're talking about but I seriously doubt that.
If other people around the board have any numbers it would be nice to hear them.
250,000 polys at 60 frames on the Gamecube is totally ludicrous. I would really want to know your sources (I mean real sources, not propaganda from the manufacturers).

Have a nice day.

Tudor
02-27-2002, 12:57 AM
1st of all.. Palm! Great character! The proportions are exactly as they should be. I am damned tired of all that manga/anime stuff! This is exactly the way they should look!
Want to make a game concept?! You know where I live :)

And about Xbox polycounts.. These are numbers of what we have in our current project:

Max polys onscreen. 170,000 @ 60 fps. Not counting characters. Just a test scene. Not even a tendency to drop yet. Mind that we do not yet have stencil shadows or dynamic lights. With all lights dynamic the framerate dropped a bit, but not much.

Polys per character. 3-4000 for npr. about 8000 for main character.

Working like a charm.. We are more and more amazed at what the Xbox can do!

/tudor

Palm
02-27-2002, 03:30 AM
Hi there Henrik.. Sorry.. I mean Tudor.;)

Nice to se you here. I know you could contribute much to the different ongoing disscusions.

Damn right you are! Manga/Anim is old and boring. (my opinion you all, plz dont send me any hate mail) :D

And about that concept. Send me a mail and tell me all about it.

c u around.

Shogun
02-27-2002, 03:39 AM
Nice work. I like the proportions. They have a stocky, 'solid' feel to them which lends character to the, uh.. character. :rolleyes: :D
The texture work is excellent, nice to see something other than a musclebound hero or scantily clad heroine. Personally I think the forehead scar is a little too much, but as I say its a personal taste thing. Overall, good job.

Kim Oravecz
02-27-2002, 04:18 AM
That is a really awesome job of texture mapping! Man you did a great job on that! I think I'm going to go sulk now.

Can I ask for some "play by play" on how you did the texturing? I guess what I mean is software used, any photos or is is all hand painted? How long it took you to do the texture mapping?

Also, this may be a dumb question but being a Lightwaver myself, how did you get an "unsquare" texture on the head? I thought with LW it only created square UV maps. By that I mean equal lengths on all sides.

Really great job!

Later!

. . . Kim

Palm
02-27-2002, 04:47 AM
About 6-7 Hours with photoshop. Its all handpainted. Expept a concrete texure over the whole thing.:) You know first "high pass" then about 40% overlay and some adjustmenst on that.

I dont know what you mean by "unsquare" But what I did was..
1. A basic cylyndrical map around "z". First I had to disconect the head and rotate it -90 degrees. Then rotate it back when the uv-map is on there.
2. Pressed the "unweld" button and pulled all the points around to get it as I like.
3. "merge"

Its always a good idea to have a photo and look at all the time so you constant reminds yourself off all the different colors and so on, that people often seems to miss.

The modeling took me about a day.

/Cheers

Tudor
02-27-2002, 04:53 AM
What he meant by 'un-square' was most likely how you made LW create a 512x256 UVmap..

Scaling in photoshop maybe?

/tudor

Palm
02-27-2002, 05:34 AM
Thank u for clearing that up for me.:D

Yeah.. Photoshop is the answer.

Why the hell isnt there a plugin for that???????
I mean one within the lw.. Done by Newtek. Just cracy.
Plz corect me if Im wrong.

Cheers.

Kim Oravecz
02-27-2002, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I was wondering how you got a 512 x 256 map because in LW when you create a map you have that big square area to work with where it lays out your UV's into a perfect square shape.

Now I thought that even if you put your UV's into, say, only half of that square that you still had to have a "square" map (i.e. 512 x 512) but that half of it would be "empty"

I don't know if I'm explaining what I mean very clearly. I'm going to have to do some experimenting and see if it does what I think it does. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something.

It's been a bad week so far . . .

:)

Later!

. . . Kim

rv-el
02-27-2002, 08:54 AM
a main character i'm making for a mod is allowed up to 3000 polys. i dont know how it is possible that your guy has too many polys the latest characters on up coming games are hitting 8000 - 10000.

ramis
02-28-2002, 09:21 PM
hey Palm! Really really cool textures! I'm doing a master here at Madrid on 3dsmax, and I'm very interested in the process of creating a reallistic texture like yours with photoshop... What techniques do you use? Airbrush? Pencil? Lots of layers?
Could you give me some advices? Any good tutorial out there?

Well I think enough questions by now ;)

Best regards
ramis

Palm
03-01-2002, 03:02 AM
Thanks....

The wacom tablet it's the man's best freind....:)
Many Many layers....
Some overlay pictures... But the most importent is to studdy
real photographs. To get the colors and the structures.
Never seen a good tutorial about textures. But you can
get some good tipps and trix here and there. I guess.:)
Never reads them.:D

I guess Im not making much sence here..:confused:

However my best source of insperation has been the q3 textures.
Damn nice!!!

Cheers.

CADster
03-02-2002, 01:02 AM
thats freaking impressive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very efficient UV mapping of the body ... I tip my hat.

great, just great. size is fine, color is fine, look of concept is fine. again, great work.

CADster

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.