PDA

View Full Version : LOW POLY head model... how many polys? etc

drawallday
10-11-2005, 05:08 PM
LOW POLY head model... how many POLYS? etc

What's the most standard number of polygons used for a low polygon head model (such in video games etc). For example.. What is the estimate number of polygons found on Solid Snake's head model in Metal Gear Solid 2?

Also, what is the lowest possible number of polygons that can be used for a human head model that can do lots of facial expressions?

Anyway, I'm asking because I am doing some research in modeling for VRML.

Thanks for your time.

Streen
10-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Well, I don't know the average for a head model, or the polies in snakes head, but I can tell you that the amount of polys for a mouth or any facial expression depends more on the bones you put in. I know for the first splinter cell game they had 10 bones just for the mouth.

drawallday
10-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, I don't know the average for a head model, or the polies in snakes head, but I can tell you that the amount of polys for a mouth or any facial expression depends more on the bones you put in. I know for the first splinter cell game they had 10 bones just for the mouth.

10 bones just for the mouth? This is interesting... can anyone please explain why?

JuddWack
10-16-2005, 03:01 AM
It really depends on a lot of things, what the engine can handle, how the character will be animated, etc. Also Solid was the main character so he is most likely going to be more detailed.

Just make sure you make good use of the ones you do use and monitor your count in tris. Set yourself a limit and see what you can do withit.

Since no one has actually given a number yet lets just say shoot for 1000 tris. It's a nice number. Could be generous or not depending on the situation but I'm guessing this won't be used for anything except practice.

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2005, 03:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.