PDA

View Full Version : Reverse set driven key in one direction

lutonomy
10-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if someone more experienced with rigging could give me ideas, or let me know if this is even possible without scripting:

I'm animating a character playing a guitar, so I've set up a number of controls utilizing set driven keys to automate things like the strumming and chording on the fingerboard, etc. as there are many, many of these repetitious movements and it would be amazingly tedious to animate by hand. There is one sdk control for a flamenco style strum movement in one hand, where the fingers go from a loose fist to spread open widely. I've set up the curves for some nice follow through and broken joints when opening, and it looks great. The problem is, when I go backwards to the closed hand position, it reverses and starts closing with the pinky, which looks odd and unnatural. I was thinking there may be a way using conditional and reverse utility nodes to reorder which fingers start moving first on the way back down, but I'm not sure how to set up telling Maya to detect if the values on the attribute are descending.

I have a fundamental knowledge of utility nodes, but maybe an expression or different approach would work better? I thought could also do it by adding the closing movement onto the attribute (continuting from where the hand is open), ending in the same position as the opposite end and step keying back to the starting position when animating, but wanted to check if there was another way besides that.

Any help is much appreiciated. Thank you!

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 07:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.