PDA

View Full Version : Which is better Photoshop or Painter?

chibimarce23
10-11-2005, 04:57 AM
Hello I would like to know which program is better for making textures and illustrations? Photoshop or Painter?
THank you

evanfotis
10-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Different applications, with different background and for -initially- different purposes and needs.
Even their name clarifies plenty...

It is true that through the yeas and versions, they have merged quite a bit, both offering similar features. But in their basis each remains with its own strengths. One is a painting and the other a photo editing application.

Again it comes down to personal preference, as with every product, like cars for example.
Prioritize your needs, test both, and go for the one that suits YOU most.

There are other parameters as well. How well these programs integrate with other animation or 3d apps in a production pipeline...

FWI, there are other applications in the same category too, which haven't had such exposure or publicity.
Corel Photopaint , is an awesome editor and painting app.
Paintshop pro, gimp etc.
Art rage, dog wafle, paint nicely too.

If you want my personal opinion, I come from a traditional drawing-painting background.
In painter I have much more fun painting and drawing than in Photoshop. It has this "natural feeling", although I have seen awesome stuff done in Photoshop as well.

But when it comes to layers, masks editing etc, Photoshop hands down is way more efficient although recent versions of Painter have vastly improved in this area.

Bottom end, I spend More time in Photoshop than in Painter, 'cause when I want something percise, I still prefer to hand draw it on paper,and then scan it in and edit it in PS...

sumpm1
11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Which is better. Pepsi or Coke?

f97ao
11-25-2005, 05:48 PM
If you want useful answers for such a question you must clarify your question first.

What kind of illustrations?
What kind of textures?
What will they be used for?
What kind of artist are you? Photographer, 3d artist, painter, etc?

Basically Painter kills Photoshop when it comes to everything with painting. So if you do alot of painting or scetching Painter is the way to go.
If you will do textures that are fairly simple and more photo oriented Photoshop is definetly better. However if you will paint alot on the textures, doing say fantasy details or complex science fiction details then Painter may be interesting.

Me, I use both, Photoshop for photos and Painter for ... Painting. If I was forced to pick one I would go with Painter.
/Andreas

Segvoia
11-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Ditto to most of the responses you have recieved thus far (sumpm1 Pepsi of course :))
But I would add that it may very well depend on the preference of the individual user. I have seen excellent work in both and in my own work I am able to attain similar results in both. For me the two compliment each other as each is better at some tasks than others (Painter's blending brushes are superior to Photoshop's - Photoshop's color managment is superior to Painter's).

And as stated above, the two programs where actually meant for different tasks - Photoshop is suited more toward a graphic design environment than Painter, but with enough familiarity with the program, you can make it jump through some pretty impressive hoops ;)

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2005, 06:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.