PDA

View Full Version : Digital concept art: Size and resolution?

TsunamiZ
10-11-2005, 02:23 AM
For drawing and painting professional digital concept art in Photoshop, what are the dimensions and DPI generally used? For example: 8x11 in. 300 DPI. I particularily want to know what DPI is commonly used for digital painting. 300 DPI, 200 DPI, or what? Thanks.

Reaver2k
10-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Im no pro on this but as far as I've heard

300DPI = Printing
72+ = Internet showing?

Possibly wrong but I THINK thats what people have said.

TsunamiZ
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
I know the art is converted to a 72 DPI version for display on the web. But I wonder: What DPI the originals are made in?

gabeg
10-12-2005, 06:14 AM
I always set my images to 300 dpi for printing. And they turn out great. Lithograph quality, given a good printer.

duddlebug
10-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I think people get hung up on the dpi of an image, which isn't always the crucial consideration. You should also be considering the pixel dimensions, because that's what determines the size of the image in memory, how fast your machine is going to run while you're painting it and how long it'll take to download on the web. You'll get great quality at 300dpi when printing, but your screen only displays at 72dpi. So it really depends on what you're what you're producing images for... print... or web... or both...

For instance, an A4 image at 300dpi is 3508x2480. If you convert it to 72dpi using 'image size' then it'd be 842x595. Just to state the obvious, the important bit is making sure you produce the original image with the bigger dimensions... you can't 'upsample' a 72dpi image to 300dpi image for printing. Unless it's a lot bigger than your print size to start with. (And you untick 'resample image' when performing your 'image size'.)

If it helps, i nearly always work at 300dpi on A4 or A3 when producing concept art (although sometimes i'll start with a smaller image to get the sketch and base colours down). I then crop the image if i need different dimensions. When i put it on my website or post on forums then i reduce it to 72dpi, but may also change the pixel dimensions if it's still too big or if it doesn't display how i want it. If i know that the image is just for screen presentation or for the web, then i'll work smaller. An A3 300dpi image with a bunch of layers can be a little unwieldy in Photoshop unless you've got a stonker of a machine!

Reaver2k
10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I also have a question on this subject although a little off topic.

Rather than CG its more Photography, My max image size is 3008 x 2000 at 300 DPI ive been asked to make a print of A3 sized but atm it is 10 x 6, how can i maintain the fabulous quality my Nikon D70 produces while being able to print at A3 size, surely if i just Image size it up to A3 size it will get pixelated?

Need help really quite soon so quick answers are by far prefered. Thanks.

Velk
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Resizing up in increments of 10% in Photoshop will work wonders. It can take a while but you maintain a surprising amount of detail and quality.

spmonahan
10-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I work as a graphic designer so most everything I do goes to print. Ideally I keep my bitmap images at 300dpi, but with photos you have to work with what you have sometimes...

When working with vector images I always set the print output to 600dpi just because it doesn't really affect performance and most large format printers can print that resolution; the end result being crisper lines.

Long story short, if you intend to print at some point work at 300dpi if your machine can handle it. As a sidenote, a little trick I've picked up is that, for most printers, 240dpi is indistinguisable from 300 so you can try that as well.

Reaver2k: I shoot a Canon 20D and before that the 6MP DRebel. I also tend to print my images at 13x19" which is slightly bigger than A3 if memory serves. Anyway, in ressing the image up you will lose image quality (the caveat is that, if you do it well, probably only you will notice it).

One way to minimize image quality loss is to uncheck the resample box in the Image Size dialog and change 300 to 240. Then recheck the box and change the image's physical dimensions (besure bicubic smoother is the sampling method). Then click OK. For me this has produced the best results. I've tried things like Genuine Fractals (http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2) and I felt the above outlined method produced just about the same result.

Feel free to PM with any further questions.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2005, 11:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.