PDA

View Full Version : MiniDV tapes not reading?

MadSkillzMan
10-11-2005, 02:56 AM
hi guys, i have nowhere else to post this. i have a samsung SCD107 camera. couple months back, it quit readiing tapes alltogether, either says eject, timecode NEVER shows up, etc..

So i took it back to where i bought it, they shipped it, said it was fixed, sent it back with a note saying "Please use all brand new tapes or problem will persist" Ok so i used a brand new tape, worked fine. Played my old master tape worked fine.

Well today guess what, nothing works again. Is this a problem with miniDV? do you think my tapes are shot or camera? ill be REALLY PO'd if its the tapes, ive got important stuff on there

thanks in advance.

spinnage
10-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Well, I've noticed in general that miniDV tapes are quite finicky little suckers. The heads in the decks are quite sensitive, so often the recommendation is to choose one brand of tape and stick with it--otherwise you can have difficulties.

Question: How did you store your old tapes? If they are not stored on their spine, tension can gather in the spools. It sounds like you put an old tape in the deck, and that tension pulled the heads out of whack (although I am by no means an authority on the matter). I think old tapes can also wear off and clog the heads.

I had a similar problem with my XL1, but I just got frustrated and sold the camera. Hope that helps...I wouldn't stick the tapes back in your camera if you can avoid it...only use new ones like they suggested. Ideally you'd want to capture from a deck instead of the camera anyway--this is what VTRs are for--so you don't wear out your camera.

MadSkillzMan
10-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Yea if i had the funds for a VTR i definently would

Tapes were stored in their case, always in a drawer too when not in use.

Theyre only aobut a year old, and thats how long ive had this camrea.

I tried recording on one, it worked...supposedly...playback doesnt happen.

Im not t he only one, im finding people are having TONS of problems with samsung cameras.

So i take it theres no way i can get my footage back?

spinnage
10-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Well, be careful that you don't damage the tapes. My XL1 actually pulled all the tape out....I was pretty angry. And they were my masters! All of my tapes were kept in the case...they were about a year and a half old--the problem could've been that I had stored them wrong....but mostly, the problem is that the decks on the cameras are way too sensitive.

See if you can get ahold of another deck or camera to try the tapes in. They may be fine in another deck. I was able to salvage all my material by capturing it off of a different camera. If they're okay, back them up immediately.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 04:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.