PDA

View Full Version : Female Samurai

Gordon Moran
10-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I've decided to attempt another character this time round, I've been doing mainly environments and am in need of a change. I whipped this concept up a few days ago. Excuse the obvious flaws. Haven't decided on a color scheme yet, but the armor style is a go (with some minor changes) unless anyone has any suggestions. Her thigh armor needs to be higher on her hips to avoid falling off, and maybe I'll add a belt to secure it a bit more. Other than that, I'd love to hear some ideas and suggestions before I get down to modeling.

http://www.gordonmoran.com/Pics/femalesamuraiconcept.jpg

jellywerker
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
There were no female samurai, but it will be interesting to see what you make of this subject.

AdamAtomic
10-10-2005, 10:15 PM
She would be a dead samurai with armor like that :P I really like your environments, gonna keep an eye on this one.

Gordon Moran
10-10-2005, 11:08 PM
JellyWerker: While you are correct that there were no female "samurai" (samurai is a gender specific term used only for males), there is evidence that many women belonged to the social class of Buke (samurai class). While they didn't serve their samurai lord directly, some of them had martial art training, and in some rare cases, participated in open combat. Hojo Masako, Tomoe Gozen and Nakano Takeko are some examples of women in the Buke class who were trained in martial arts and fought in combat. So it's not entirely out of the realm of possibilites to have a female samurai, even though the term is slightly illogical. But you got me thinking of a great back story for my character. The wife of a recently deceased samurai, unwiling to become a nun or take her own life (as widows typically did), seeking vengeance for her husband's death... or something along those lines :shrug:

AdamAtomic: Thanks! Agreed, her armor is quite.. non existent! :) It's a challenge to give her decent armor while still retaining a certain degree of femininity. I'll probably end up covering up her legs and waist a bit more, just to make it a tad more believable.

Headless
10-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Something similar for inspiration...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=176883

Gordon Moran
10-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks Headless, that'll definately inspire me!

Darklord101
10-11-2005, 06:43 AM
tiny crits if you dont mind.. The helemt appears to be a bit small compared to her head. it needs to be bigger, heres an example image: http://signormori.clarence.com/archive/images/kabuto.jpg , and http://www.docwarner.com/images/Kabuto.jpg or is there a reason behind it being of that size.

other then that cool concept and cant wait to see it modelled :)

SHEPEIRO
10-11-2005, 09:29 AM
at the mo it looks like britney spears the samurai, i would perhaps give her a little more appropriate ethnicity, and go a little further east. like the design of the armour, and the colours, just the face needs a redesign in my opinoin.

Gordon Moran
10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Darklord: I 100% agree. By the time I noticed the helmet was off, I was just too lazy to go and fix it. I'll definately make it bigger and bring in down so it's not as tall. Thanks for the pics, I really appreciate it!

Shepeiro: You're so right. I didn't put a lot of time or thought into the face, it's more of a place holder for the armor at this point. Before I start to model, I'll either sketch a more asian looking face, or use photo ref as a base. I'm thinking maybe Lucy Liu, her face can look strong yet beautiful at the same time, both qualities I want to capture.

amarie
10-11-2005, 06:22 PM
it irritates me when female warriors must show as much skin as possible....if they are put into combat they will be killed easily....>.> but whatever, nowadays people draw for the masses which is a shame....
try covering her up a little at least...like a tight black armor on her stomach so she wont look so easy to kill. You can still make her sexy with armor on....and it will seem more realistic.

Gordon Moran
10-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Amarie: I know exactly where you're coming from. It is very cliche to have scantly clad women running around on the battlefield. It's not so much of a practical thing though. That's the beauty of games, movies and fantasy. We can create things that normally wouldn't work out too well in the real world. Artists like Frank Frazetta have been a huge inspiration for me, and in comparison to his female warriors, this samurai has a lot of armor! I think that once I pull up her thigh armor and possibly add a belt, she'll look a look more clothed. I may even add some forearm armor, which will also help. You could always look at it like the lack of armor is a display of her confidence and skill, plus she'd be more maneuverable! But don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying. I'll mess around with a few more concepts to see if I can get the woman some more protection!

Wayne Adams
10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Thank god she doesn't have big ass eyes with a big open goofy smile, and some idiotic tear/sweat drop on the side of her face. I got worried until I opened it and saw the image.

Nice rendering, although the painting style seems to vary from sharp to blurry, which could be a design element, but its not clear.

Anyways keep up the solid work.

amarie
10-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Amarie: I know exactly where you're coming from. It is very cliche to have scantly clad women running around on the battlefield. It's not so much of a practical thing though. That's the beauty of games, movies and fantasy. We can create things that normally wouldn't work out too well in the real world. Artists like Frank Frazetta have been a huge inspiration for me, and in comparison to his female warriors, this samurai has a lot of armor! I think that once I pull up her thigh armor and possibly add a belt, she'll look a look more clothed. I may even add some forearm armor, which will also help. You could always look at it like the lack of armor is a display of her confidence and skill, plus she'd be more maneuverable! But don't get me wrong, I agree with what you're saying. I'll mess around with a few more concepts to see if I can get the woman some more protection!
^.^ well ill be looking forward to the final product

Gordon Moran
10-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Here's a really rough sketch of the armor changes. Made the helmet larger, brought up the thigh armor so it's resting on her hips, added some forearm armor, and some other very minor changes. Still gonna keep all the detail of the first concept, just made a few small adjustments to the positioning of the armor. She looks slightly more protected now :) I'll start modeling the head today...

http://www.gordonmoran.com/Pics/femalesamurai2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2005, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.