PDA

View Full Version : normal mapped character

BonciuToma
10-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi !

The character is modeled using Maya. So far I've finished modeling the char, his armour and his two weapons. I've also did the normal map for the char in Zbrush (my first normal map - preatty happy the way it came out). I'll work on the normal map for the other models then the rig and the I hope I can pull it of with the texturing ( I just can't get this texturing thing )

Thank you .

BonciuToma
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
and also a wire from the back

BonciuToma
10-11-2005, 09:08 PM
and here are the models normal mapped

TwitchyHamster
10-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Looks pretty good, he just looks "soft" like "dough."

I think this is a common issue for alot of people when trying to work with a low/high mesh and making normal maps.

Since I have no experience on how to correct this issue wholy my only advice would to be to crispen up the model.

-Twitchy

Ferg
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
neat design, my main issue with the model is the arm meshflow. Why is it so twisted? I can understand a slight twist to accommodate wrist rotation, but I think you've taken it a bit too far heh. When you start bending those elbows and moving the wrists, you might end up with some really nasty geometry artifacts.

Other than that it looks tip-top for a first-time normal map. I'm working on my first normal mapped character as well right now... so I'm in a similar boat :)

SHEPEIRO
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
have you added details with the PS filter, because the normal maps dont look as if they are doing much, as if you had overlayed the filter detail and forgot/didnt know to reduce the blue level, ghiving that soft look

BonciuToma
10-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I've created the normal maps using ZBrush; and as for visualisation just linked a file texture to the NormalCamera node from a material. This is all that I've done; no adjusting no nothig;

If you have some tips or if you know that are some problems with Maya please tell me (it's my first normal map). Maybe the detail it's not observable becouse of the lack of motion and lighting

SHEPEIRO
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
try down loading ATIs normal mapping tools, it may be along way round, but you will be able to exprot NMF files, and view the normal mapped model in its stand alone viewr. this may help.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.