PDA

View Full Version : Character: Fantasy Western Mechanic

ojko
10-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Slightly odd concept i'll grant you, a Wild West fantasy mechanic. He's kind of a follow up of sorts to my major project at uni this year. You'll also notice that I came over a little bit "Guilty Gear" when I gave him the huge spanner on his back.

I'm really looking for general comments on how I could clean up / improve the mesh, or generally improve on what I have so far.

I'm also intending to rig and import the model to UT2004 when complete. Should be interesting to see how the character looks in game, as he won't cast a typical silhouette at a distance. Texture wise i'll use the standard UT2004 approach and use one texture for the head and one for the body (2x1024x1024).

The poly count is 2632 tri's.

Images are of the wires and wip texture.

BananaSalat
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Model looks good great style, but you have to work on the texture.

AdamAtomic
10-10-2005, 06:22 PM
pretty neat :) i agree the texture could use a lot of work. The design reminds me of Septerra Core's lead heroine (http://www.lith.com/sites/septerra/concept/P5c-Led.jpg). I think your character is slightly OVER-designed; this is a problem I still have too, you want to put all the cool details you can into one character; you are better off focusing on the strengths of the character, IMO. The chain/wrench thing is pretty cool, and well executed. But the bandanna and gauntlets seem like they're just overdoing it.

ojko
10-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Interesting, I might take a look at removing the gauntlets. I'd not really considered the over designed aspect, though I do see where you're coming from. As for the texture it's still very much a work in progress, as stated in my original post.

Not seen Septerra Core's lead heroine (http://www.lith.com/sites/septerra/concept/P5c-Led.jpg) before, though I can see the slight similarity to the concept.

Pnoodles
10-11-2005, 12:44 PM
The model looks good (keep the gauntlets, i love 'em, very steampunk), For the textures, u should decide for an overall colorscheme to tie the character and his world together. Western movies i always associate with the color brown/yellow. And be carefull with painting dirt everywhere,(the gauntlets and the hands melt together)

utchamp
10-11-2005, 08:16 PM
I like the concept.

I would keep the guantlets, but i would change the texture on the gloves.

Also, no wrenches that i have seen have the rivets on them. if you had seperate peices that make up the wrench, go for it... but i would take them out.

looks good.

ojko
10-12-2005, 10:16 AM
The wrench texture is mirrored both horizontally and vertically in order to save space, as I did not want to add additional textures to the model.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2005, 10:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.