PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Delu - SciFi-Fantasy Based Female Character

LeeLee D
10-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey guys. Just want to see what you guys think of it. Modeling is Complete. Currently working on finishing up the texture. Ill get some wires up for you guys tomorrow if you like. This is the first texture Ive actually hand painted before.

Any details you think I should add or any kind of suggestions, throw them at me, Ill see what I can muster :)

DELU - 7600 Tri's

Modeling - 10-12~ Hours
Texturing - Too Long lol

Img code doesnt work? oh well

Tagill
10-10-2005, 09:32 AM
can we see some wireframes?
and the concepts?
cool model would love to see the finished product

SHEPEIRO
10-10-2005, 09:47 AM
really nice only crit is that the eyes look a wee bit higher than they should be. make her look like she has red hot poker where the sun dont shine.

Runy
10-10-2005, 11:06 AM
imho her face looks... ugly, and the head is too big(?)

LeeLee D
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Ill do this quick before i have to goto work.

LeeLee D
10-10-2005, 03:24 PM
and the other 2. Its roughly based of this concept. Concept is comic/anime style style drawn by Jon DeGusman, friend of mne from school. Ill post comments after work

Psyk0
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the head could be improved.

-I get the impression the face itself is too big ("she" should be able to grab her face with 1 hand) If you were to put her palm on the chin, her longest finger should touch the forehead near the start of hairline.

-Her features, especially the nose, are too masculine.
-Eyes are too big
-It looks like she has no skull...probably cuz the face is bigger.

You have an awful lot of segments that dont define much shape in the leg, in the concept the legs are very curvy.

SHEPEIRO
10-10-2005, 05:16 PM
the body is good, but could be optimised alot, espessaily the boobs, too much attention was paid to these me thinks! the head needs quite alot of work, firstly bring the eyes lower, then shrink the size of those cheeks they are way too big.

i think once thats done itll be cool

AdamAtomic
10-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm going to be blunt in hopes that the net effect will be positive. Please take this as encouragement rather than the opposite!

1 - The design you've chosen is very bad. There is no way to tell your character apart from a million bajillion buxom, everquest/FF women with harem costumes. This is both a subjective and objective observation; I personally have a thing against redundant character designs, but doing something cool and unique should help your work and portfolio stand out as well.

2 - Everything psyko posted is dead on, you have some serious face proportions to fix up.

3 - The colors in your texture are oversaturated and unnatural.

4 - The costume is confusing to me; what does this character do? what is her role, her occupation? There are no cues apparent in her generic fantasy babe outfit, which leads one to suspect that maybe she is just a fantasy babe. This is not a very interesting thing to be!

I hope this helps in some way, you have done one thing EXACTLY right, which is going ahead and finishing off the character; its so tempting to just quit something in the middle and move on, but you can learn so much from just going through with it. Keep at it, and good luck!

LeeLee D
10-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, this will help me out alot. :)

-Her features, especially the nose, are too masculine.

You have an awful lot of segments that dont define much shape in the leg, in the concept the legs are very curvy.

LOL I can tell you exactly why her features look so masculine. For the head I used a 3D.sk reference of a women who obviously has used steroids because she was heavily built.

For the body I used a different women. Which might explain why her head might seem just alittle too big and some parts are alittle off. The concept Art she is extremely curvy as its part of the artists style but I wanted to go for a more realistic look to the character.

Som of the loops on the character are so subtle but I wanted to keep the mesh very grid like but I agree I should optimize it alittle.

I'm going to be blunt in hopes that the net effect will be positive. Please take this as encouragement rather than the opposite!

1 - The design you've chosen is very bad. There is no way to tell your character apart from a million bajillion buxom, everquest/FF women with harem costumes. This is both a subjective and objective observation; I personally have a thing against redundant character designs, but doing something cool and unique should help your work and portfolio stand out as well.

3 - The colors in your texture are oversaturated and unnatural.

4 - The costume is confusing to me; what does this character do? what is her role, her occupation? There are no cues apparent in her generic fantasy babe outfit, which leads one to suspect that maybe she is just a fantasy babe. This is not a very interesting thing to be!

I hope this helps in some way, you have done one thing EXACTLY right, which is going ahead and finishing off the character; its so tempting to just quit something in the middle and move on, but you can learn so much from just going through with it. Keep at it, and good luck!

I actually thank you for being so blunt, more people should be like you. I take in any input I get as useful to better improving my skill and knowledge. As for the character itself I'll give you some background on her.

At Ai Vancouver-Burnaby we had a class called "Game Production Workshop", it was supposed to simulate a realworld game development cycle. So basically we, a dev team of students, got together a designed a game called "Truth Of The Shard" (http://www.panicbuttongames.com/designdoc.htm) (This design doc is very out of date, we had a newer version but it's not online). This character is a remodel of the Main character of the game.

So I can see why you ask, what is her purpose, role and such. There is no indication in my renders as to what she does or where so belongs because she is just standing there alone with no purpose.

I still have some work to do on the texture, the colours are very contrasting and saturated I agree. This is the first time I've textured a character AND I am colour blind, so some colours may seem right to me but they are not lol

I'll start working on all the suggested revisions now, thanks guys. :)

LeeLee D
10-11-2005, 12:45 AM
I tweaked the face alittle. Took out some loops and edges from the Boobs and Legs, plus reshaped the legs abit. Ill attached the face. Ill start working on the texture changes

LeeLee D
10-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Alright, another update. It's pretty much close to finished except for a few UV tweaks and such. Im going to round off the bottom of the cape with an Alpha just so it's not so hard edged

edit - Im also going to fix the bottom of her hair lol its alittle too random

http://www.leededrick.com/images/Delu/Turnaround.jpg/images/delu/Turnaround.jpg[/img]http://www.leededrick.com/images/Delu/closeup.jpg

AdamAtomic
10-11-2005, 07:30 AM
I did a quick paintover if thats ok - i kind of exaggerated the changes here, but you have a strange pairing of saturations here. Your skin is super-bland, while the lips are impossibly red. Her skin is more or less devoid of detail, which is unrealistic to the point of being doll-like. I hope this helps!

LeeLee D
10-11-2005, 08:15 AM
^ Sweet Thanks for the example :)

I'll desaturate the lips and give her cheeks more of a pinkish red tone

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 08:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.