PDA

View Full Version : A simple question

benclark
10-09-2005, 08:26 PM
I hope its ok to post this question here. I've tried on the Maya and Zbrush forums and got no response and I think my best chance is here

I am now ok with using Zbrush to create Normal maps. But once I get back into maya how do I apply them??

I know there are plug-ins for Maya5+6 but I am using Maya7. Is there no easy way to connect the normal map to the material or do you still have use the old plugins and the complicated shader networks??

I have tried importing both my high and low poly models into the same scene and using the surface sampler but if I try and import a 2million poly object Maya dies horribly.

I have attached a picture of where I am up to, but what is the connection I make between the two??

Thanks very much for any help

JYoung
10-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Middle mouse click the normal map node and drag onto the shader node(It'll open up a little dialogue). Choose "other" and it'll bring up your connection editor. Select OutColor from the left half(the normal map) and NormalCamera from the right half(the shader).

To display it in viewport, click on the Shading menu in your viewport and select "High Quality Rendering".

As for actually rending it correctly, I haven't used Maya 7 yet, so I don't know if you still need a complex shading network or not. Let me know! :)

benclark
10-10-2005, 04:16 PM
This is really frustrating

I see hundreds of normal mapped models on this forum but no one seems to have any idea how to apply normal maps in Maya!!

Please can anyone help me with this, I have totally run out of places to ask this question and I have 5 models complete each with individual normal maps that I can't apply

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

WHW
10-10-2005, 04:38 PM
http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=25542

This from ZBrushCentral. Really concise instructions and some work arounds from what I gathered.

And I found this on my travels:

http://www.drone.org/tutorials/normal_maps.html

Gordon Moran
10-10-2005, 04:52 PM
:D NO KIDDING! As far as I can tell, Maya 7 allows us to create normal maps, view normal maps in the view port (under high quality), but YOU CAN'T RENDER THEM! I mean seriously... please tell me I'm wrong. Please tell me we don't need plugins and complex shader networks. Please tell me Alias hasn't dropped the ball on this one, again.... Hopefully Autodesk will give them a kick in the pants!

benclark
10-10-2005, 08:56 PM
WHW - Thanks for the info but it is not displacement mapping I am interested in, and I cannot bring a 2million poly model into maya to bake it's normals like the second link suggested.

GORDON - Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! its definetly possible to do this as I have seen it included in some artists workflows. I'll keep this thread updated if I get anything
A million dollars to anyone who can answer this question!:bounce:

BonciuToma
10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
1) create the low poly model
2) make it's uv layout (no overlaps)
3)export as an obj file and import into ZBrush
4)subdivide your model, paint it, do whatever you want in ZBrush
5)to create the normal map from ZBrush do the following :
a) first go to the lowest level of subdivide ( SHIFT + D repete until nothing happens)
b) in Tool>Normal Map click Tangen, set the resolution (1024 or 2048 works); if you click on Adaptive the result will be finer but will take longer to create
c)hit CreateNormal Map; the new Normal map will be created and placed Textures (selec the texture and Export it in which format you want)
d)if you see the Normal Map generated is flipped verticaly or horizontaly you can flip it in any imageviwer or you can regenerate the normal map from ZBrush with this option Preferences>ImportExport>NormalMapFlipVert checked
6)open maya; create a simple material; create a File Texture where you load the normal map texture;
7)do what Yungimoto said :
Middle mouse click the normal map node and drag onto the shader node(It'll open up a little dialogue). Choose "other" and it'll bring up your connection editor. Select OutColor from the left half(the normal map) and NormalCamera from the right half(the shader). To display it in viewport, click on the Shading menu in your viewport and select "High Quality Rendering".

You'll have to press 6 sometimes to view it;

You can render it in a Hardware rendering;

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.