PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't my brushes showing up when other people download them?

Lunatique
10-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Some PM'd me and told me that when trying to install my custom brushes, he noticed that my Rob's Real Pencil is missing, pluse some other brushes. He could not find them in the actual folder directory or inside of Painter in Rob's Brushes category.

When I looked in the folder for Rob's Brushes in Explorer, I see that he's right--they're not there. However, when I try to access them in Painter, all of them are there. I did a test and deleted that entire folder, tried to access them in Painter and made sure that Painter returend an error message--which tells me that those brushes are now gone. Then, I put them back using the same zip file that people are downloading off my website, and that restored all of my brushes when I tried to access them in Rob's Brushes category inside of Painter, however, they still don't show up in the actual folder directory. Can someone explain to me why this is happening?

Art2
10-09-2005, 11:46 PM
First, many thanks for your brushes. I really like the cover pencil and palette knife :thumbsup:

I've downloaded your brushes some time ago.
In the folder "Rob's brushes" I have: Cover pencil, basic round, palette knife, opaque round med and various opaque round.

In Painter I don't see the opaque round med, but I have it in the folder. This is also the case for opaque round (30-3).
I noticed that these two files don't have an xml file with the same name (only stk and nib), like all the others.

I've downloaded the brushes again and I noticed that the cover pencil is not included in the zip file. They were before, because I have them. Maybe you accidentally forgot to include them :)

Lunatique
10-10-2005, 03:19 AM
I've downloaded the brushes again and I noticed that the cover pencil is not included in the zip file. They were before, because I have them. Maybe you accidentally forgot to include them :)

That's not possible, because I zip the entire folder with the jpeg for the category image. The Rob's Cover Pencil's been renamed to Rob's Real Pencil. But it's just not showing up in the folder, but it shows up in Painter (or at least for me).

Art2
10-10-2005, 09:25 AM
http://www.marlonart.nl/pics/RobsBrushes.gif

Here's a screengrab of the zip :)

Jinbrown
10-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Luna,

I just downloaded the Zip file which, on your site, is dated 10/8/05.

The extracted ZIP file contains:

Rob's Brushes (brush category folder)
Rob's Brushes.jpg (brush category icon image file

The Rob's Brushes brush category folder contains the following files (I've grouped them to show which have missing files):

CategoryData.xml

Opaque Round (05-1.5).nib
Opaque Round (05-1.5).stk
Opaque Round (05-1.5).xml

Opaque Round (10-2).nib
Opaque Round (10-2).stk
Opaque Round (10-2).xml

Opaque Round (15-2.2).nib
Opaque Round (15-2.2).stk
Opaque Round (15-2.2).xml

Opaque Round (20-2.5).nib
Opaque Round (20-2.5).stk
Opaque Round (20-2.5).xml

Opaque Round (30-3).nib
Opaque Round (30-3).stk
Opaque Round (30-3).xml brush variant file is missing

Opaque Round (30-3.3).nib
Opaque Round (30-3.3).stk
Opaque Round (30-3.3).xml

Opaque Round medium.nib
Opaque Round medium.stk
Opaque Round medium.xml brush variant file is missing

Palette Knife.nib
Palette Knife.stk
Palette Knife.xml

Rob's basic Round.nib
Rob's basic Round.stk
Rob's basic Round.xml

I copied and pasted the Rob's Brushes brush category folder and the Rob's Brushes.jpg brush category icon image file into the following folder:

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes

Then I launched Painter IX, loaded the default Painter Brushes library, and selected the Rob's Brushes brush category. The brush variants listed were:

Opaque Round (05-1.5)
Opaque Round (10-2)
Opaque Round (15-2.2)
Opaque Round (20-2.5)
Opaque Round (30-3.3)
Palette Knife
Rob's basic Round

As would be expected, the brush variants for which only the .NIB and .STK files were included in the ZIP file do not appear in the brush variant list because there was no (necessary) brush variant .XML file.

In the earlier version Rob's Brushes brush category that I either downloaded on 2/18/05 or that date appeared on your site, viewing the brush variant list in Painter, are the following brush variants:

Opaque Round (05-1.5)
Opaque Round (10-2)
Opaque Round (15-2.2)
Opaque Round (20-2.5)
Opaque Round (30-3.3)
Palette Knife
Rob's Cover Pencil
Rob's basic Round

As with the more recent Rob's Brushes brush category, when viewed in my file manager, the folder contains two extra sets of .NIB and .STK files without an accompanying .XML file:

Opaque Round (30-3).nib
Opaque Round (30-3).stk

Opaque Round medium.nib
Opaque Round medium.stk

Lunatique
10-11-2005, 03:13 AM
Any idea what could be the cause of these missing files? I mean, when I choose the brush category inside of Painter, all the brushes are there. I don't understand why they aren't showing up in the file folder.

This is what SHOULD be in the file folder:

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/temp/rob's_complete_brushes.jpg

Anyone else ever ran across this problem?

Jinbrown
10-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Luna,

Yep. I have a hunch the following scenario, or something similar, could be the answer:

Let's say you originally created the Rob's Brushes brush category in Painter 8.

After installing Painter IX, you copied the Rob's Brushes brush category folder and Rob's Brushes.jpg brush category icon image file then pasted them into the Painter IX application/program folder... here....

Corel > Corel Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes

Then, in Painter IX, you created more custom brush variants in the Rob's Brushes brush category.

Painter IX provides multi-user support. Because of this, the Painter IX application/program folder is read only, meaning that Painter IX does not write files to the Painter IX application/program folder and it's sub folders.

Instead, Painter IX writes all custom preferences, custom settings, and custom files to the Painter IX User folder.

If that's what you did, then any new custom brush variants added to the Rob's Brushes brush category using Painter IX would be written to the Painter IX User folder and would not appear in the applicaton/program folder.

The User folder is found here:

Mac - /Users/[User Name]/Library/Application Support/Corel/Painter IX/

Windows - Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Corel\Painter IX

To find the "missing" brush variants, look in your User folder, here:

Corel > Painter IX > Brushes > Painter Brushes > Rob's Brushes

The easiest and safest way to combine the older custom brush variants with the newer custom brush variants created in Painter IX is to:

Create a new, empty folder somewhere on your hard drive.
Go to the Painter IX application/program folder and copy the Rob's Brushes brush category folder and the Rob's Brushes.jpg brush category icon image file.
Go back to the new empty folder and paste the copied brush category folder and .JPG brush category icon image file.
Go to your Painter IX User folder's Rob's Brushes brush category folder and copy the new custom brush variants.
Go back to the new empty folder's Rob's Brushes brush category folder and paste the copied custom brush variant files.
Zip that Rob's Brushes brush category folder and the Rob's Brushes.jpg brush category icon image file and the Zip file should contain all of your custom brush variants.

Lunatique
10-11-2005, 05:29 AM
That's EXACTLY what happened. Thank you so much Jinny! I've gone ahead and updated the zip file. I didn't do the exact steps you posted though--I just copied the contents of the folder in the User directory and pasted them directly into the folder inside the zip file. That should do the trick.

Jinbrown
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi,

Glad to hear that was it and you got it fixed.

Doesn't matter if you followed my steps exactly, just that you understood and now have your custom brush variants all together in one brush category and in one Zip file.

Now you know..... ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.