PDA

View Full Version : starting pose for modeling for animation

Womball
10-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I know the standard modeling for animation pose is the spread eagle (arms held up horizontally) with the legs close together. However my computer animation teacher mentioned that there are other poses that require less weight mapping and are easier to rig. would one of these postions be the anatomical postion (pretty much everything in a supine state, palms forward, thumbs pointing away). I also saw this spiderman on this site that was modeled in another pose, which had some advantage over the traditional spread eagle pose. So what is the easiest pose to model that requires the least amount of tweaking for deformation in animation?

gonemad
10-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I've seen a lot of people use the DaVinci pose, with the arms wide and the legs spread, and it does have it's advantages. The main porpose of modeling your character in this pose is to get the extremeties as far away from the body as possible so that when you're weighting vertices in the arm for instance that you're not accidently getting some verts from the torso. Or so you don't get verts from one leg weighted to the other leg. This pose works really well for that but what can end up happening is that you're model and textures could end up stretching in the shoulder areas when you finally animate the character to a relaxed pose.

Personally I wouldn't recomend posing your character into a completely relaxed state as you'll get a headache trying to get all the weighting right, and I find that it can also cause the same type of stretching under the arms and around the lateral muscle area of your model.

The pose I use is halfway between the two. I keep the characters legs slightly spread apart and the arms held out at 45 degrees from the shoulders. This eliminates some of the weighting issues and prevents a lot of the stretching.

Womball
10-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Do you keep the palms facing forward? And legs slighlty apart would that be about the feet lining up with the shoulders? Would a slight bend at the elbow, knees, and shoulders also help with the problem areas? Thanks for the response btw.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2005, 08:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.