PDA

View Full Version : Help me see my goldwatch on a white background pls

B3nnyMan
10-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Hello, first let me say a big thank you to everyone who's ever put out a helpful piece of knowledge in this forums - I am grateful. (Srek, thanks - I remember ur name cos u helped me out here first with the Sony Alpha thing )

I have this:

I have modelled a stopwatch, the texture I need for it is realistic gold.

The background is supposed to be white (compositing background?) but with a shadow and slight reflection on the floor.

My Problem:

The gold does not look very real (used colors in the materials dialog).

Need light settings that will show the stopwatch on white background and still show the
digits and inner designs (under the glass face ) of the stopwatch without making it seem as if the watch has no glass face (specular of the glass gets me badly here :sad:).

If I work with the compositing tag for the plain background I don't get the shadow...
I usually apply the tag to the floor and sky object (:shrug:)

Pls y'all help me, I have read a lot of tuts and even used hdri based lighting (still trying out different ones) will post a few renders of what I have later.

nycL45
10-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Page 701 of the manual uses a similar example to your watch-on-white-background. It walks you thru the compositing tag.

You can find examples of gold (search "metal" as well as "gold") by doing a search here. Did you check your Maxon>Goodies folders for gold? Edit: Instead of the Goodies folders, have you checked the "gold" at Applications>Maxon>Misc folder>Noctua Graphics? SAT :)

One last thought: post an image; you will get faster and better help. :thumbsup:

B3nnyMan
10-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks man, I came up with something that worked well while playing around with morphing... (PLA)

I lit up the scene after the anim and it looked good, I got the shadow and reflection on the comped white floor - the problem appeared to be my light that was too intense and close to the object (at around 1000m abv d floor it was fine).

Will post the image of what I had b4 and what I have now... Thanx bro...
:thumbsup:

nycL45
10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Sounds good. We look forward to your update. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2005, 12:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.