PDA

View Full Version : New character

goldensparrow
10-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Just started modelling a new character. Can anyone see any floors or problems, or suggest any additions to the model/design.

goldensparrow
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Just finished the basic body structure. As I plan to animate this model can anyone see anything that I could have problems with also can anyone suggest a good way of cutting in the legs and eyes. All help is greatly appreciated.

Womball
10-08-2005, 05:54 PM
He he. I really like the design. I think you could probably box model the basic details for now since it seems pretty low in the polygons. Basically block out the overall shape of the dog. Not sure about the face though, may cause problems, there is a great tutorial about modeling a dog on www.edharris.com for softimage, I think you could borrow some similar strategies for modeling yours. The face you may need to model part by part, if your going to animate it, and design it with edge loops. Not postive, hopefully someone else knows more. Good luck!

goldensparrow
10-08-2005, 06:47 PM
!update!

Added the legs. Can anyone tell me what the strange color markings are,, I always thought it was to do with reversed normals but when I try to flip them it doesn't make any difference.

Womball
10-08-2005, 07:07 PM
your mesh is probably dual side, and your normals are still messed up. unclick dual sided and reorient the normals, there used to be a command that would recalculate all of the normals but i don't remember what it was. you probably should work in an unsmoothed mode to correct the normals.

ileto
10-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I think you should select all faces and use Ctrl+N - Recalculate normals (or access the command in Edit Mode from Mesh->Normals).

goldensparrow
10-08-2005, 08:02 PM
All the legs are now finished, only the eyes and teeth to come, plus texturing which I don't look forward to.

Thanks for the suggestion idelo.

raythex
10-10-2005, 12:40 AM
go into edit mode and select all of hte verticies (double tap "a") and then hit ctrl-N and click recalc normals outside. or something liek that... it looks like you still have wonky normals on ur doggy.

it looks really cool lol :D. can't wait to see the finished version.

oh wow! i bet the sub-divded version in a clay render would look pretty cool. haha

cheers

ray

Eckie
10-10-2005, 12:28 PM
He said he allready did that.
There's probably some errors in the topology because of which the normal-calculation doesn't turn out right.

Elubie
10-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi,

what you could try to correct the topology is first to make sure there are no double vertices: select all and remove doubles. Then in edit mode deselect all and then try to select non-manifold vertices (SPACE->select->non manifold) which usually shows where there are problems. It's no prob if the non-manifold vertices appear on an opening that's not yet been closed, but they shouldn't appear in other places.

--- Elubie

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 07:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.