PDA

View Full Version : Game Industry Question?!??

Zerafian
10-08-2005, 01:01 AM
To any of you guys or gals that are in, where, or are going to be in the game industry or film for that matter, I have a question.

--What would you all say is the normal waiting period for a response from a company, BIG OR SMALL, when you have sent your demo reel and resume to them?--

Thanks in advance for your response.

toebee_1
10-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Well, the job i got hired at I heard back from the company the day after I applied, though I believe that is really really rare.

I also just got an email from a company several weeks ago saying they had filled the position I had applied to 4 months prior.

Its kinda the chance of being in the right place at the right time.

Gordon Moran
10-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Agreed. It all depends on whether the company has positions available at the time, how many applicants there are, and the availability of the staff for interviews and art tests and such. Some of my friends in the industry have heard back 6 months after applying, patience is your friend. But while you wait, just keep cranking out the art and start putting together a new demo reel or updating your website (which, by the way, in my experience has been the best way to demo your skills). It's much easier and faster for a potential recruiter to click a link to your website to see your art. They can then easily pass this link on to others in the company who need to see your skills before they can contact you.

Zerafian
10-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the quick replys, both of you. Sounds advice. Patience has always been my friend:) But that is excatly what I will do, keep the art work comin and put a new reel together

thanks again

blankslatejoe
10-08-2005, 04:43 PM
companies are busy places and theyll forget about you quick. drop them a note after a week or two. Don't hound them, but a simple 'hey im still here' isn't always a bad thing.

if you haven't heard from them by then, it's likely they weren't too keen on your work.
But, make new and better stuff, and resubmit, and that will impress art directors all the more.

toebee_1
10-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I agree with that advice

G0st
10-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Get back to them, sometimes they want to see if your interested. I hounded the company i work for (a big one) and i got the job.

requiem2d
10-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Usually depends on the professionalism of the respective HR department. Some companies will let you sit in the dark for weeks on end because they need approval from the section head and then global headquarters in order to proceed, while others, say smaller studios may call you tomorrow.

WHW
10-10-2005, 03:28 PM
[PR]requiem "Usually depends on the professionalism of the respective HR department."

Indeed. I applied to a dev co in Europe and after 2 months the HR head came back to me with "Sorry, we don't employ people who are not in the EU." Like, hello? Did you check my details? I'm in the UK! Of course, having replied to their email, they said I needed to resubmit my reel again... Lousy no good... /shakes fist in air

mindrot
10-10-2005, 07:13 PM
A while back before coming to the UK, I sent out about 15 applications to both game dev companies and agencies.

The agencies responded very quickly (tho' they said I'd need to be in the UK to get any real interest), but the game companies are different- I think I got 2 replies out of about 10. Which isn't too good.

Once I got to the UK, I got quite a few offers from companies seeing my work on my site.

A good thing is if you know someone at a company. Many companies tend to encourage their staff to introduce people to the company.

Another thing is not to sit back and wait for them to get back to you. Don't be a pain in the ass tho', they could get pissed off and lob you showreel/CV in the bin. But as blankslatejoe mentioned, it is good to see that they haven't forgotten about you.

Don't just rely on agencies either. As there are many companies who prefer not to use them.

Hourences
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
It varies, Ive sometimes had replies within a day and other times 4 months later which happened multiple times, some actualy invited me for an interview, suddenly after all that time.
My avg is a week or 2 I think, game companies are often quite slow
Like said, if you feel they forgot about you mail them again after a reasonable period of time, just dont spam them every week..

ZephyrStar
10-10-2005, 10:00 PM
ration.

I've done all of the above, looking for a job now for about 4 months. I'll admit, I sent out a demo reel that I wasn't quite satisfied with, so I have no choice but to keep cranking on the artwork and put together a better reel. I'm going to be participating in the Freaks and Geeks Game Challenge, maybe with that I'll be able to showcase my skills. But the biggest advice I can give is just when you feel like giving up, take a deep breath, and start something new. I'm a new grad too, so I don't know quite how to approach this whole "professional" job thing, so this whole thread has been really helpful to me too. Thanks guys =)

-ZephyrStar

Delucubus
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Sounds like I'm in the same boat as some of you, just graduated looking for "industry" work. I've been doing 3D modeling and animation for about 5 years now, studying art and animation, but after graduating I'm at a point where I want to get out there, contribute, work hard, and get paid doing it. From everyone I've talked to it's hard getting that first job and getting your foot in the door, especially if you don't have inside help. And with out real "industry" experience it makes it even harder.

I've sent out about 20 reels and counting, I've heard from a couple companies who said "not interested but we'll keep you on file" I've heard from 2 saying we want you but no openings or our project is on hold till next year. And then there's some I just haven't heard back from.

But i'm just continually try to network and meet people and do more work.

blankslatejoe
10-10-2005, 11:28 PM
hrmmmm.... i really hate to plug another chatboard on this one. Cgtalk is a great place, but for game development in particular, Polycount and Cgchat (their realtime section) are practically talent pools that companies fish at. Cgchat's realtime section has a great monthly comp.. a portfolio of a half dozen of those will get you 2000 times closer to a job. It worked for me. :)

ninjacore
10-11-2005, 08:43 AM
i agree about cgchat. there is a real level of quality there, and i've read tons of threads where guys have got jobs. its a very freindly forum too. wish i got more involved.

a freind of mine who was in the same class as me in uni got a job at a games company, mostly becuase he did the cgchat comps and that really did boost his portfolio. but he has really good skills anyway.

i actually only sent off reels to 3 companys in scotland, who at the time were looking for staff. 2 of those companys got back to me resonably quickly, as in a week or 2 , saying thanks for the showreel, "We'll let you know..." 1 company never got back to me at all, even after sending in my reel twice.. i found it kinda rude.
the other company i got an art test for and 2 interviews. they dragged the whole thing out over a long time (months). the art test itself was 2 weeks and they took thier time getting back to me

when i submitted to my current employer, i was pleased enough they got my reel. a month maybe passed and was surprised i got an interview, and then around 2 weeks or more, floored i got the job. also very very lucky!!

so it very much is a patiance thing. when i submitted my stuff, went back to working on new things, (any finished stuff, i showed to the interviewer to show i had been up to new stuff)

so always keep plugging away. the cgchat and cgtalk comps are great to be involved in. Also, see if you can get invloved in a Mod, if u have the time. i was ( still am kinda) involved in one, and because of that, it really boosted what i had to show, and i provided some Team experiance.

Zerafian
10-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I just wanted to follow up on the thread I started here. I appriciate everyones words very much. It has helped me with a lot of my thoughts. Thank you once again to you all.

Por@szek
10-12-2005, 08:24 AM
I were looking job in the industry over all the year. Not efficient.
I get the preposition from the company in the Cyprus in architect visualizations. Its not my branche, and I don't like it. I decide try once again in the next summer time, if then nothing I'll leave the game industry and all the cg. I will look the fortune in the different branche.

Gordon Moran
10-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Perhaps it has a lot to do with your education, where you live and where you apply. I think companies love to see some formal training, either in traditional or computer arts. Then, it's also a bonus if you are already living in the same city as the company, often (with some exceptions) you NEED to be in the same country, especially if you're starting off as a junior.

Personally, I moved to a major gaming hub to go to school then find a job. If you're serious about getting into the industry, I'd recommend moving to a city that has a lot of game companies. I even had a few foreign students in my class, from as far away as India, who managed to find jobs here in Vancouver. After graduation from a Game Art And Design Program in Vancouver, I sent my demo reel and website links to maybe 20 - 30 companies, most in Vancouver, but some elsewhere. This again is important. Don't just apply to one or two companies, apply to as many as possible. I heard back from most of them, landed a bunch of interviews, did a whole lot of art tests, and eventually had the fortunate luxury of being able to choose what company I wanted to work for. It's no reflection of my skill as a 3d artist, just being in the right place, at the right time. And if you are in 20 - 30 right places, chances are a few of them will be at the right time.

ZephyrStar
10-19-2005, 07:28 PM
All that sounds very promising...and I'll do what I can for now, keep on cranking out new work to make my portfolio better. I find that the whole area thing is definately a problem, I live in the middle of nowhere, just so happens we have a digital media program not too far away, not too well known, so I went there mainly because of money. I feel I got my money's worth at least, but mostly I learned from other students and collaborative projects. In retrospect, I should have moved to a CG hub to go to school, etc, despite the cost. I guess I'm making up for that now, trying to work on professional quality work to get me in somewhere. All in all I'm confident in my skills and ability to learn, so I won't get frustrated any time soon =) Thanks for the good insight into the industry.

-Chris

blankslatejoe
10-19-2005, 07:45 PM
dont 'move to a hub city' thinking you'll get a job... that's a risky way to live.. it's like moving to hollywood to make it as an actor... much more idealistic than realistic. Testers and interns may be hired locally, but artists and, programmers are shipped in from wherever they are...

If you're connected to the internet, and willing to move if you DO get a spark, than you're already in a better 'hub'. Do good work. Get better. Do more work. Get even BETTER. Post your work and participate in forums and be active, and you'll be seen much more than you would by living in a hub city.

AdamAtomic
10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Ditto that - I actually tried it, and it resulted in 3 months at Fry's (*shudder*) before finally picking up a decent programming job.

However, one thing to keep in mind is you will always have to do a face-to-face interview before you are hired for an in-house position. This can be very difficult if you live out-of-state or abroad; willingness to move is VERY important, but you need to be available to the company before you are hired, too. It's a very tricky and costly situation!

HellBoy
10-19-2005, 08:04 PM
I think we should make a stickie that would either link you to this page or say it in that thread, seriously I think this is useful information

itsallgoode9
10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
dont 'move to a hub city' thinking you'll get a job... that's a risky way to live.. it's like moving to hollywood to make it as an actor... much more idealistic than realistic. Testers and interns may be hired locally, but artists and, programmers are shipped in from wherever they are...

here's my thoughts about that. If you have the ability, money, and passion to pick up and move I think you should go for it, here's why. Say you just graduated college and you are looking for a CG job while you are working part-time at some pizza shop or wherever. If you don't have any experience, it's rather unlikely that a company will seriously look into hiring you if you live far away, unless your work is absolutly amazing. Why not work at a pizza shop, just like you are now, in a city where you are close enough to a studios that you can drive to in 30 minutes if they want you to stop in. Just continue doing everything as you were in your original location, just now you will be closer to the action. Obviously nothing is guarunteed by moving to an area, but it can't really hurt a bit. anyways, that's my 2 cents

Bazooka Tooth
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
I wouldnt set my sights on a company and move near it thinking it will improve your chances. It would be a shame to move somewhere and get an offer far away from where you just moved.

blankslatejoe
10-20-2005, 12:18 AM
here's my thoughts about that. If you have the ability, money, and passion to pick up and move I think you should go for it, here's why. Say you just graduated college and you are looking for a CG job while you are working part-time at some pizza shop or wherever...

well, if you're going to be working at a pizzaplace either way, then that's one arguement for moving... but oftentimes game developers are based around cities, and cities are expensive. A pizza place in the suburbs might not earn you much money, but the rent's cheaper...or none if you're still in with your parents. Saving money = good. Also, you've got a support crew there to help you and egg you on; people who want to see you succeed. Moving to a new place is formidable and can be extremely socially depressing in that regards. :(

"If you don't have any experience, it's rather unlikely that a company will seriously look into hiring you if you live far away, unless your work is absolutly amazing"

I'm sorry dude, but that's where I disagree. The company where I work has hired several new artists, relocating them from all over the place.. some of us, like myself, with no previous experience at all. Companies will relocate you, even if you're just a junior artist, even if you're not a rockstar.

The fact of the matter is, even so-so artists aren't very common in the game industry.. There's a lot of mod-hobbyists and recentlygraduated art kids, but not very many of them are even so-so. Some are, and some are rockstars, but most are just beginners.

If you're so-so, yeah, you won't have people knocking on your door nonstop, but you send your stuff out at the right time to the right place and they're looking for junior guys, and they'll nab you, no matter where you are. That's provided, of course, you come across with a good attitude at the interview... That's more important than the portfolio in a lot of ways for junior guys.

The only time I've heard of when they sometimes won't relocate is with international cases and I think that's because of red tape issues or something..

Anyway, I guess you can argue both ways, but my point is, if you're willing to move at all, why move to a set city when you could be searching all across the country and moving to wherever you find a job?

Gordon Moran
10-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I'm not saying to set your sights on just one company, but it can NEVER hurt to be where the action is. You don't live in Canada if you want to grow bananas... In an industry that's so competitive, and chalk full of available talent, ANY advantage you can give yourself helps. Besides, some small companies, with small budgets, won't fly you in for a face to face, they'll simply hire locally. So unless you only want to work at a big company, you may need to move. I think Itsallgoode hit the nail on the head. You can serve burgers in any city, so might as well do it in one where you can be available for interviews, network, and start tomorrow if need be. Yes it's a risk. Yes it could be lonely, and costly. Obviously it helps if you have friends in the city before going. Or if you're considering going to school, why not go to school in a gaming hub. It all depends on how serious you are about getting into the industry. I'm not saying it's the only way, or that it's even necessary, but it clearly gives you an advantage, and sometimes that's all you need.

itsallgoode9
10-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Say you're applying for jobs in L.A.(which you don't live in), and you happen to have a friend who lives out there...would it be a bad thing to put his address as your own on resumes when you sent them out to L.A.? If you knew you were able to get on a flight right away if they needed to interview the next day. And knowing that you friend would let you move in till you found a place. Before I finally got an industry job, I had always thought about doing that, but never had either the balls or stupidity (not sure which one it would take) lol

Athey
10-21-2005, 11:36 PM
It can vary a lot, but my personal feeling is that if it's been more than a month, don't keep your hopes up, cuz chances are pretty slim you'll ever be hearing from them.

Most situations I went through when job hunting, usually involved hearing from them within one to two weeks. That would sometimes result in a phone interview. And after the phone interview took place, it'd be anywhere from one to three months before I heard from them again. This happened with three companies. Literally two months after the interviews, they got a hold of me again to see if I could still move forward - by then I'd been hired and none of it mattered anymore.

Companies are slow about a lot of stuff, but in my experience, if they were interested at all, they at least made contact pretty fast. It was the later steps that they dragged their feet on.

Dark Soldier
10-23-2005, 01:10 PM
hi, to kinda go off the point of this thread but in the same area, i want to move to canada and work in their Game/film industry, how likely is it that someone will employ me? and is the same as apllying for a job in uk , just send my demo out to them?

anyone tried? anyone succeeded?

thanks

Hourences
10-23-2005, 06:03 PM
If youre good enough theyll get you over to canada. Relocation happens a lot but you got to be special and good enough to make it interesting for them. If youre equall as good as someone nearby theyll take that guy ofcourse, however if no one nearby does your type of job or is as good as you...

So depends on yourself

And yes applying is the same, send and show them your work just like you would at home.

Zerafian
01-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Hey all I just wanted to reactivate this thread...Let people see it again. I reread the stuff you all told me..very good stuff.

qrt
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
elo, i have only few word to you all. im from Poland and im 18 . when i was 16 i found my 1st job in cg. i can write a huge post about situation of game industry, but i write only that:
1) your age dosn't matter
2) your education too
ONLY one think is important : what u can do?! => your works, ONLY that.
cheers
ps. get work or u be on unemployment :o

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.