PDA

View Full Version : Orc Spirit Lodge

Gordon Moran
10-07-2005, 08:28 PM
http://www.gordonmoran.com/Pics/GM_Model1.jpg

Here's a super low poly Orc Spirit Lodge aiming for the WOW style. Original concept, but heavily based off existing WOW structures. All textures are handpainted and 256x256... comments and critiques are welcomed.

Woyman
10-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Excellent! I love the textures!

Although I imagined the spirit lodge to be a bit higher (more like a teepee) with a bit of bellowing smoke from the top.
Great work! How many tris?

Panupat
10-07-2005, 08:40 PM
I think it's cute :D For an orc structure tho I imagine it wouldn't be as clean.

Gordon Moran
10-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Woyman: Thanks for your comment! Yeah, you're totally right, the spirit lodge in warcraft3 is much taller. I was trying to create another type of spirit lodge, back in the peacefull days of the orcs, perhaps from a different clan. But the more I look at it, I probably could have gone taller. As for tri count, I'm not sure cause the scene file is on a different computer, but here's a wireframe and some of the textures, and the interior...

http://www.gordonmoran.com/Pics/GM_Wire1.jpg

http://www.gordonmoran.com/Pics/GM_Textures.jpg
http://www.gordonmoran.com/Pics/GM_InsideModel1.jpg

AdamAtomic
10-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey man beautiful stuff! No crits here, great idea and execution and presentation. Nice job!

Gordon Moran
10-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I guess I should clarify my concept ;) This is an Orc Spirit Lodge from Draenor, before the time of the Horde (in Warcraft, Orcs once lived in peacful, shamanistic clans). So I was attempting to show this "softer" side of the orcs, while still retaining an Orc style to the building.

Headless
10-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Great stuff. Excellent use of polys and good texture work. Your textures are slightly more muted and realistic than the Blizzard style, but they're still great.

Thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Gordon Moran
10-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Panupat: Good eye, I probably should dirty it up a bit more.

AdamAtomic: Thanks a lot!

Headless: Thank your for your comments and critique! I totally agree with you. I'm really eager to try painting some more textures to achieve that stylized warcraft look. I'm used to going for a more realistic look, so this was fun practice for me.

dpizzle
10-08-2005, 02:24 AM
that looks awesome
great job on the textures, they really make this project come together
:thumbsup:

Gordon Moran
10-08-2005, 10:40 PM
dpizzle: Thanks for your comments. I'm happy with how most of the textures turned out. I was under severe time constraints when doing this (total time about 16 hours with concept design), so many of the textures had to be painted quickly (ie. the interior). Which is probably good for me cause I tend to nitpick if I don't have a looming deadline. I'm glad you like them anyways!

johnwoo
10-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Very cool!...imho you got the WOW style down to a "T"...you sure you don't work for Blizzard...;)...

Woyman
10-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that there was an interior done! Fantastic! :)

TheShow
10-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Very nice and definitly Warcraft style - Simple mesh, high quality texture design, and good structure design.

blz
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
cool.
looks very good, some nice texturing , nice concept in the first place
a bit too warcraft alike, but what the hell, its still great
congratulations
well done

Gordon Moran
10-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Thank you all for your comments! I'm glad you all like it. I'd love to hear some more hard critiques from any exisiting WOW (or Warcraft 3) players, as I'm really trying to capture the style and essence of the game.

utchamp
10-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey..NICE

The only thing i see is that you need to make some shadows in the interior of the lodge. It would also be cool if you took away all of the lamps and just made the light come from the lanterns hanging in the lodge and render a scene like that.. :thumbsup:

I really like the texturing and the lowpoly!!

Gordon Moran
10-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks UTChamp! I actually do have only lights from the lanterns, although it doens't look like it! :shrug: Lighting is definately not my strong point, so I love to hear suggestions. Normally I would have gone much darker, but for this project I needed to be able to show off some of the textures and modeling. I'll give it another render this weekend when I have more time with your suggestion in mind.

utchamp
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Can you turn the amout of light that is given off by a lantern down??
that would make a huge difference.

katzeimsack
10-14-2005, 07:44 PM
nice start, but the textures have al lack of contrast and sharpness, it's al to grey and blurry :(

I also Would bake more light-information, some !hard! shadows :)

Gordon Moran
10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
UTChamp: I'll give it a try!

Katzeimsack: Good call, the textures could use more contrast. I'll get right on that. About the blurriness though, that's probably a result of the small resolution (256x256 and 128x128). Also, Warcraft textures aren't sharp, they're more soft and "cartoon" like, which could be due to the low res, I'm not sure.

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.