PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray becoming more prominent

dann_stubbs
10-07-2005, 04:59 PM
from this thread here

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=283678

-----------
New in Autodesk 3ds Max 8 - Unlimited mental ray Network Rendering
With the release of Autodesk® 3ds Max® 8 software, Autodesk announces the availability of unlimited mental ray® network rendering for 3ds Max scenes, using the integrated mental ray renderer. This does not apply to stand-alone rendering.

For any rendering job using the integrated version of mental ray, users will be able to assign as many CPUs to the job as required. The integrated version of mental ray will then behave exactly as does the 3ds Max scanline renderer. This eliminates the need for mental ray licenses when network rendering with Autodesk® BackburnerTM render or command line rendering using 3dsmaxcmd.exe and a max scene (.max file).

The immediate benefit is increased productivity at no additional cost for users who adopt mental ray as their 3ds Max rendering solution.

------------

essentially a big first shot in the upcoming render wars. MR being what i consider the dominent 3rd party renderer and increasingingly "bundled" render engine.

so for the cost of your 3d app you will get free MR DR type rendering. i hope maxon sees this and makes sure to consider the attitude on who needs "high end renderers" and the desire or need for connections to them.

give it a month or so (at most when they integrate under autodesk) and maya should assume this new feature as well. (currently including 2cpu for complete and 8 cpu for unlimited)

i know i am not the "normal" c4d user but it sure is attractive to me... paying for a MR quality render engine just became a different situation when those apps will essentially give much if not most of the functionality for free. (included)

interesting times for sure, just wondering if others knew about this news...

dann

nycL45
10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
And, the gauntlet lies on the floor before us.

In previous threads, it has been mentioned/speculated that Maxon has been enjoying some success in expanding its market share... and I have no reason to doubt this. I am wondering/speculating, however, about their financials bottomline since in the past few years Maxon has bought out a few firms like VectorWorks. A fair amount of income could be dedicated to debt service which can (speculation) limit a) pricing flexibility and b) competing with deeper pockets.

I do not know about C4D's competition, but, I think C4D is a versatile app and there are peeps here who have amply demonstrated how good it is. It's a contender.

ThirdEye
10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Maxon didn't buy VW, Nemetschek did.

Other3DMaster
10-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Wait, unless I'm wrong, Maxon didn't buy out Vectorworks, but rather Nemetschek, maker of Vectorworks bought Maxon....

edit: sorry, thirdeye, just hit enter before your reply showed up... :)

Srek
10-07-2005, 06:50 PM
since in the past few years Maxon has bought out a few firms like VectorWorks. A fair amount of income could be dedicated to debt service which can (speculation) limit a) pricing flexibility and b) competing with deeper pockets.

Please check your facts before posting stuff like this, MAXON did not aquire any other company during the existence of the company.

Cheers
Björn

MJV
10-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Maybe Maxon should buy somebody. Hmm, who would be a good candidate? :twisted:

ThirdEye
10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Maybe Maxon should buy somebody. Hmm, who would be a good candidate? :twisted:

maybe they should buy Mental Images :D

nycL45
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I genuinely appreciate being corrected and offer my apologies for the detail errors and for offending anyone. Please allow me to offer a clarification.

There have been comments made in this C4D forum that other apps have come down in price and that Maxon might want to consider a similar move. Some who have made these comments seem puzzled that Maxon had not already considered/made a similar move. Seeing Dann's news made me think more of those comments were sure to follow. AFAIK, Maxon has not responded to these comments. Business strategies are generally influenced by far more complex issues than just these comments.

Even Maxon's success with market share gains, which has been commented on here and which we all want for Maxon, is in the mix of business strategy issues. And so is my point: it is common for companies to expand/grow by buying out others and take on a debt load that can impact business flexibility.

How and why a company competes the way it does can, at best, be speculated about by clients and prospective clients. Dann's news, which I am sure Maxon already knew about, is interesting but may, I'm afraid, bring about more of those comments about price.

Again, please accept my apologies for the errors and for any offensive remarks I made.

Leonard Marsh

lllab
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
i think more companys like nextlimit /maxwell and final render should think about their network licening.

in this situation FR and Maxwell seems to be the most expensive apps regarding network rendering;

vray gives you unlimited network and 10 dr licenses, mental ray gives unlimited dr and netrender licenses, brazil gives 10 net and dr licenses i think- please correct me if i am wrong....

cheers stefan

dann_stubbs
10-07-2005, 11:32 PM
i think more companys like nextlimit /maxwell and final render should think about their network licening.

in this situation FR and Maxwell seems to be the most expensive apps regarding network rendering;

vray gives you unlimited network and 10 dr licenses, mental ray gives unlimited dr and netrender licenses, brazil gives 10 net and dr licenses i think- please correct me if i am wrong....

yes before this MR was much more expensive and with limited options to obtain DR licenses - essentially only what was alloted with the purchase of maya, max or SI. i would assume that the same unlimited license DR with all those apps will be quick to come - which then does put other third party solutions in a more expensive bracket - and also the newfound freedom of this MR change will allow many more users to take advantage of MR where before it's per license standalone pricing was quite prohibitive.

dann

Lyr
10-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Mental Images made a press release August 2, I think it got lost in the mad shuffle of the Autodesk aqcuires Alias news, but here it is: http://www.mentalimages.com/1_1_news/news_texte/050802.html basically Mental Images is looking to get on the Autodesk gravy train too. I think there is a good chance that all Autodesk products (including Maya) will see free distributed MR rendering.

Blur1
10-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Have you seen the stochastic motion blur that mental ray does? It's horrible and very slow. There is the rapid motion blur in more recent versions, but some users complain about obvious glitches. IMO mental ray is OK if you have a huge render farm and a TD and hopefully you are not working above broadcast res.
I would rather see continued development of the C4D internal renderer (ie. improve motion blur) than porting mental ray.

dann_stubbs
10-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Have you seen the stochastic motion blur that mental ray does? It's horrible and very slow. There is the rapid motion blur in more recent versions, but some users complain about obvious glitches. IMO mental ray is OK if you have a huge render farm and a TD and hopefully you are not working above broadcast res.
I would rather see continued development of the C4D internal renderer (ie. improve motion blur) than porting mental ray.

i think many would like the option (like renderman) if possible and this can also help C4D fit into an existing studio pipeline.

not many apps are "all in one" anymore and it is about interoperability and working together. yeah, i like the c4d render engine and improvements are great - but being a good citizen in a pipeline is the way of the future (as i see it)

dann

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2005, 01:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.