PDA

View Full Version : Renderman 11

Poulpi
11-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Anyone here have started to betatest RENDERMAN 11 ?

Noxerus
11-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Why beta test it when the final comes out next week? :beer:

Mauritius
11-15-2002, 01:41 PM
Because it won't come out next week. PRMan releases have always been behind schedule by about six-nine months.

.mm

Noxerus
11-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Hehe, there you go, it's out! And almost exactly one week after my last post in this thread :bounce:

Viva la PRMan!

Mauritius
11-21-2002, 02:10 AM
I can't see what's really new in PRMan 11 -- Entropy had 90% of the features at the same speed two years ago -- you could buy a (cheaper) license if you needed them or you could use BMRT (for free) since 1994 or so, if speed wasn't of matter.
Deep shadow maps have been available in 3Delight (which is still free) for two years now.

I bet we never had seen that GI/raytracing stuff in this PRMan release, hadn't Entropy appeared to shake the RMan scene.

.mm

ErickG
11-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Yes, but Entropy is, sadly, no more. I had a few copies and while it was less money than PRMAN. i wish I would have gotten PRMAN. At least now I would have a future with my REYES pipeline!

-Erick

Nathan
11-25-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Mauritius
I bet we never had seen that GI/raytracing stuff in this PRMan release, hadn't Entropy appeared to shake the RMan scene.

.mm

O_o

Mauritius
11-25-2002, 12:19 AM
I know that Entropy is no more. Only there was no hype in any forum or any website when it was initially released over two years ago with those features everybody is now raving about ...

.mm

ErickG
11-25-2002, 09:57 AM
True the features are not "New" per say. But I guess it is good news for PRMAN users. 3DeLIGHT looks great! I wonder why I have never heard of this before. Thanks for the hot tip!

It even works with BORG!

-Erick

Mauritius
11-26-2002, 11:17 PM
Wait for the next 3DL release in december. Subdivison surfaces with all Pixar extensions (in particular: arbitrary sharp creases, corners), ambient occlusion with caching (a la Entropy and AIR) and all ray-tracing issues fixed (e.g. NURBS geometry will finally cast 'trimmed' shadows).

.mm

ErickG
11-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Just installed 3DL and started testing. This is very impressive. can't wait for the features you listed out above. I can't get it to work well with Max Man but that may be an animal logic problem. I have written to them to see if they can help me get it fixed.

Are the sub-pixel displacments just as good as PRMAN or ENTROPY? If they are this is too good to be true!

Well I must admit it is nice to be wrong sometimes.

-Erick

Mauritius
12-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Yes, there is no difference if you use a displacement shader. All those renderers -- including 3Delight -- to a certain extend use the REYES algorithm which means they dice into micopolygons of a user adjustable size (<= 1 Pixel by default) before the displacement shader is run.

.mm

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.