PDA

View Full Version : The Deal about the Deal (alias_autodesk)

elvis75k
10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Don't have time to scrub in the big one to see if already posted..
But this is a "must read" http://www.highend3d.com/articles/columns/4.html

Source: highend3d

-elvis

_mg_
10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
The focus on interoperability sounds promising.

It would really nice to output rla/rpf's from Maya to use in Combustion for example, not to mention a native scene interchange format.

Srek
10-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, it was mentioned in the main thread and other offspring threads in the software forums and it has gotten some attention.
Please let's not start another thread to discuss this, it's already realy enough.
Cheers
Björn

Nichod
10-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Personally I appreciate this post. At over 1000 replies its difficult to strain out useful information from the main thread. Wish less people replied to that post with a wow..or gee that sucks and actually were constructive, that would have at least cut the amount of replies in half.

eebnor
10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Although I appreciate more information regarding the aquisition. There's nothing surprising in the interview. This is the usual formal answers you usually hear after mergers and aquisition. The idea is to limit the panic and try to minimize the effect of the news on sales of all existing products. I wouldn't trust any of Autodesk's public statements, their looking at minimizing any negative impact the aquisition may have. Don't get fooled.

This acquisition is somewhat similar if Microsoft bought Corel to compete with Adobe's Photoshop (although Microsoft can't do that without legal implications). They would inherit of two competing products Word and Wordperfect. The difference here is that Wordperfect doesn't have the marketshare Maya has. But in any case, they wouldn't be able to say they discontinue Wordperfect. Legally they could get sued by whomever had contracts with Corel for large sums of money. And secondarily they would immediately loose all of Corel's clients.

The same goes with the Alias aquisition. Autodesk is bound legally to at least maintain both products for a reasonable time. And they need to communicate that they are going to improve both in the short term not to loose any sales. But, the strategy usually ends up choosing one solution, and letting the other one slowly die out until most of its user base has transfered.

To ease the transfer, there is technological improvements they can do, like file support accross apps. But the easiest path is pricing. Making it much more affordable to switch than to stay with your software.

Once this is done, I expect prices to go up to take advantage of the quasi monopoly position and increase the profit margin.

This is the easiest path for any such aquisition and the most likely. But I think there is going to be a lot of questioning in the short term on which app is going to be dropped. And the migration technology is going to take some time. The MotionBuilder - Maya file exchange is still not good and it's been over a year the aquisition happened. And that, I think MotionBuilder-Maya is simple since there is only animation data to transfer. This is definitely going a rocky road.

I definitely don't forsee a happy future with Autodesk. We need to stay wary of any public statements from Autodesk and use our own jugement.

c-g
10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
This is the easiest path for any such aquisition and the most likely. But I think there is going to be a lot of questioning in the short term on which app is going to be dropped. And the migration technology is going to take some time. The MotionBuilder - Maya file exchange is still not good and it's been over a year the aquisition happened. And that, I think MotionBuilder-Maya is simple since there is only animation data to transfer. This is definitely going a rocky road.

I noticed a lot of people so in shock that some are forgetting the fact that Motionbuilder is not part of the mix as well. They could always use that as a big key between the two apps. A wise person pointed out on their own forums that Maya/Max is a tiny little (almost insignificant) part of the new Autodesk empire. Most of the money of those two giants comes from the CAD end.

I definitely don't forsee a happy future with Autodesk. We need to stay wary of any public statements from Autodesk and use our own jugement.

Good advice!

eebnor
10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I noticed a lot of people so in shock that some are forgetting the fact that Motionbuilder is not part of the mix as well. They could always use that as a big key between the two apps. A wise person pointed out on their own forums that Maya/Max is a tiny little (almost insignificant) part of the new Autodesk empire. Most of the money of those two giants comes from the CAD end.

I agree. What I'm trying to say is that if there is any common file support effort between Max and Maya. We're not going to see anything working right soon and I don't see it's going to serve us greatly as users. The effort is going to serve the interest of Autodesk to suck users from one app into the other, then wean the abandonned app from RND except for minor work to show there is still improvements and protect themselves legally for their obligations until it becomes obsolete. Anyways, time will tell.

In all cases, I think the best move we can do for the sake of our industry is to support healthy competition. That's why I'll be looking at XSI.

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.