PDA

View Full Version : SSS multiple surface prob

ndeboar
10-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Hey,

Ive got an object i need to combine SSS surface with other surfaces (lamberts, phongs ect). Now, when i do this this go a bit weird. See attached images. The first is my SSS surface, works fine. Now add another surface, ah. Ive heard that setting my light linking mode to 2 fixes this, but see the third render and it just doesnt look right, the colours all wrong and there is not specular.

Any ideas, i know this is a common prob.

Cheers,

Nick D
www.thepra.com.au

blender
10-07-2005, 09:01 PM
as far as i know, misss shader won't work if you're trying to attach it to a group of polys, while using a different shader on the rest of the object..

i believe it's an all-or-nothing kind of thing.

others here may be able to explain this in more wicked technical detail.. particularly MasterZap, the creator himself.

zkanal
10-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Maybe you should try to use two shaders, one lambert for example, and one miSSS material and layer them with mix8Layer.
Don't forget to put the lightmap in the mix8Layer SG.

bgawboy
10-09-2005, 04:21 PM
I've used sss attached to polys successfully before.

Did you try attaching the lambert first to a group of polys and then your sss to the other group of polys?

ndeboar
10-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Hey,

ive never used Mix8 before, can you give some more info on what it does? I basicly challange anyone to do what i did in the test i did and make it work!

Cheers,

Nick D
www.thepra.com.au

Osaires
10-11-2005, 08:46 AM
try connecting all your ligts to the shader and the lightmap thingy

Jarod
10-18-2005, 01:59 AM
osaires s right,

if you connect your lights to your sss shader node and lightmap node it works. :thumbsup:

Marlboro-Man
10-18-2005, 09:28 AM
miSSS works with groups of polys

In the misss shader..turn the lightmode to 2 and also in the lightmap.

Marlboro Man

mitchgates
11-18-2005, 02:15 PM
In case you guys are not aware, our beloved Lightmap trick is BROKEN in Max 8. If you pick a custom lightmap SSS will no longer work. I've posted this here and on the Max webboard but nobody seems to care. Pretty sad since this means I will have to stick with Max7 until this is fixed.

:(

-m

Caypiranha
06-09-2006, 11:49 PM
...max8...ehemjaja....max7......yeah of Course..!! I know dude... Software is Software, isnīt it... =)) Ohhh...somebody was sitting to long in front of a computer.... get orientation where you are... *gg*

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2006, 11:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.