PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Cluster

amasen
10-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Ok, I'm making some bled shapes and I have some clusters that I really like and I would like to duplicate them and tweak them slightly to make other blend shapes. So how do I duplicate a cluster while leaving it attached to the object/verts it was originally attached to? Thanks in advance

~mike~
10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Why do want to duplicate cluster for that just get ur blend shape and duplicate the object and sttart making other shape with the same cluster......

amasen
10-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Why do want to duplicate cluster for that just get ur blend shape and duplicate the object and sttart making other shape with the same cluster......

Thank you. Yes that's what I've doing now to get things done for my class. But it just seemed strange to me that I would have to continue duplcating the shape over and over again, when it would be far easier (for me) to have all the clusters on one shape. Also once I get something in my mind I generally don't give up on it.

So I'm trying to tear apart some cluster copy/import/export scripts out there in hopes that I can create a cluster copy script. However I'm new to MEL script so I'm quite lost at the moment... so if anyone has any idea on how to do this, that would be great.

Thanks again in advance

Dichotomy
10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
if you grab the cluster and duplicate it, with the "duplicate input graph" selected, it will duplicate your cluster, mesh, any other cluster on the mesh, etc. You might give that a try before writing a script for it. Much easier.
-2 cents-

amasen
10-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Ya i've been doing tyhe duplicate cluster with input graph. However it creates a second mesh while I had in mind of keeping all my clusters on one mesh (dunno why, but I feel like that would be easier for me to manage). Thank you for the input though

Dichotomy
10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
ok, im kind of confused... to make a blend shape, you have to have two meshes... so i don't get why you don't want a second mesh? as you would need this mesh to make the blend shape? If you duplicate the cluster onto the same mesh... how are you going to make blends out of it? as the mesh changes, so will your blends.?..? maybe i'm missing something, but I don't get the logic right now :shrug:

amasen
10-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Ok so my idea was... I would have all the clusters I need on one mesh because many of the clusters can work for differnt shapes. Then when I get my shape, I just dup out the mesh and tweak the verts as I see fit.

The annoying thing i've found with duplicating the mesh with inputs is that I have to duplicate the mesh and clusters in the same place as my previous one. So every blendshape will need to have it's own layer or be hidden because they will all be sitting on top of each other. Unless of course there is a way to move the new mesh and clusters... I've tried using the relative option on the clusters and it allows me to move the mesh and clusters but the clusters move at have the distance the mesh does.

Also the way we're doing blend shapes (in my class) is to create a head for all 40 blend shapes we'll need (left and right sides). So I wanted to have one head with all my clusters for tweaking shapes, and then I would duplicate out the shape once it's close to it's final form, rename it and tweak the verts to their final position.

Dichotomy
10-10-2005, 09:57 PM
gotcha, so you dup out the mesh when it is what you want then delete history on that one and then reset the clusters for another shape on the original mesh right?
why then, do you need to duplicate the clusters? since you will be using the same ones for the multiple shapes? or are you wanting to create the shape, then have a duplicate cluster to alter that shape a little further/differently while maintaining the first shape?

amasen
10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
pure lazyness really. I found that some clusters are very similar to each other in terms of weighting and affected verts... and it should be much quicker to duplicate a cluster and tweak its weighting than make a new cluster.

But really, I'm just trying out a lot of things because I'm new to all of this and I'm excited about overcoming challanges and doing something differnt

Dichotomy
10-10-2005, 10:58 PM
ok, there seems to be something amiss here... or Im just really lost. You have a mesh, with clusters that you really like on it. You want to create the "blend shape" shape, then dup out the mesh and use it as the blend shape. Once that is done, you don't need new clusters on the original mesh... you can take the existing ones and use them to get the next shape. If you want clusters on your blend shapes, then the best way is to duplicate input graph.

amasen
10-11-2005, 03:44 AM
haha... ok. my steps

1. I'm working on my duplicated head.
2. I've added clusters to it
3. I've shaped the head the way I like it for say the mouth open shape
4. I duplicate the shape with the mouth open and set it off to the side to have the verts manually tweaked to work the way I want them too.
5. I continue working on the head with the clusters to get my next shape say "smile"

* I want to be able to access these clusters for the "mouth open" shape again... just in case I screwed up
* I also want to copy these existing clusters so that I can use them for another shape.
* I would prefer not to duplicate the "mouth open" shape and clusters because I must duplicate them all in the same place. If I do this, then I must keep this extra mesh, and clusters all in the same place (because if I move them, the cluster tweak out). I don't want to do this because then I will have an extra mesh and cluster set in the same place as existing mesh and clusters. Then I will have to hide these clusters and mesh. If I do this for all the clusters and mesh's I will have 20 differnt cluster/mesh combinations that are all the exact same location...
*My thought is that I can have one mesh, with many clusters on it that will allow me to shape all blendshapes. Everytime I get a cluster combination that works for a specific shape (ex "mouth open"), I can group it and hide those clusters. Then if I like the way some of those clusters are setup I can duplicate them and tweak them as I see fit.

Basicly it's just a workflow I think I would work better with... And to me it seems strange that I cannot duplicate some clusters. The other option I was thinking of is that if I duplicate the mesh and clusters, it would be nice to be able to move them as a group so that I don't have mesh on top of mesh on top of mesh, ect...

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2005, 03:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.