PDA

View Full Version : Mercenary-lighting help

Melissa
10-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone. This the first model I've posted.

Maya PLE (yuck, please excuse the watermarks)
3100 Triangles single mesh
One 1024*1024 color map

Please feel free to point out any issues you may see with her. These are viewport screenshots. She is not lit with any light setup as i am trying to teach myself how to do that. I would like to be able to show the alphas on her goggles and hair but I'm not familiar with the process of setting a model up for a rendered shot. If anyone has any pointers on how to set up a simple light system where I can achieve an even global illumination type feel, that would be great.

Check out these links for a rotateable model with wires, texture, and closeups.

http://www.melissa-preston.com/game/3d/MercAnim.htm
http://www.melissa-preston.com/game/3d/Mercenary3d.htm

Psyk0
10-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Mesh looks very efficient, excellent likeness from concept art to 3D. Maybe shadows could be harsher, but i dont think i can give anyone texturing tips since i've only started a few months ago ;).

I'm not a maya user so i cant be much help with rendering issues.

P.S.:Nice presentation too!

AdamAtomic
10-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Very cool! Good design and execution. 2 tips:

1 - I'd cut your texture sheet to 512x512. With an Unsharp Mask you probably won't be able to tell the difference at all!

2 - You could save a couple polys by doing the ribbons as tri-strips or planes, and they would probably look just as good.

Nice job!

Meephunter
10-07-2005, 02:08 AM
For the lighting I would say use dome lighting, it provides good light at all angels, the most comon lighting set up that I have seen for objects/characters is a bright directional light in the front and a less bright bright light in the oppsite direction. usally people will color the light for a better effect.

Melissa
10-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts and comments guys.

Adam you were right. I didnt notice much difference at all reducing the size to 512. Thanks.

I'm guessing a dome light is the same thing as an ambient light? I'm using Maya. I will keep working on it.

Can anyone share their own process of lighting a character then rendering?

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 03:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.