PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field--better?

terencemace
10-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Has the DOF been improved in 5.0? It doesn't look so hot to me. Any tips on how to improve this effect? Objects in the foreground don't have the right looking softness. The edges look a bit fuzzy, but not accurate to true DOF.

I'll keep looking through old posts, just wondering if DOF is better in 5.0.

Atyss
10-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Don't do dof in renders. Instead, enable the Zpic option, and use a 3rd party like Fishluft's Lenscare plugin in After Effects (or software that support AE plugins) to do the actual depth of field.

Cheers
Bernard

wurp
10-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Post dof works sometimes, but not always, specially when having fine overlapping objects like hair

we need a fast 3d dof in xsi!

terencemace
10-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks Atyss!

Atyss
10-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Post dof works sometimes, but not always, specially when having fine overlapping objects like hair

we need a fast 3d dof in xsi!

There is a plugin available, if I remember it's called X-DOF or something like that. It is said to be much better, although still not as fast as post dof.

Trying to do post dof with entities as thin as a hair is indeed a weird idea, but yet again, rendering with 3d dof, trying to properly sample such a thing so it doesn't flicker in animation could result in render times of astronomic proportions.

terrencemace: another technique that I have experimented a little with (though not too much) but I have seen used pretty nicely is to use a combination of 3d dof and post dof. Basically a noisy 3d dof is rendered, along with either zpics or a depth pass. Then in post, the actual "blur" of the rendered dof is "re-blurred" by the post dof. That might work, although it's still not the real deal.

Cheers
Bernard

Leonardo Vega
10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Any info on using zpics? I'm assuming using post means that you don't have to setup DOF in XSI, it's all done in compositing?

- Leo

Atyss
10-07-2005, 12:43 AM
That's right. For zpics to be used means they have to be supported by the software. After Effects has the Lenscare plugin as well as its built-in 3D dof. I never used zpics in the FxTree.

Cheers
Bernard

Foyle
10-07-2005, 03:48 AM
One of the big drawbacks of using AE for DOF (although it's currently the best way) is that real footage doesn't just blur uniformly. You get all kinds of interesting artifacts based on the shape of the camera aperture, especially on highlights.

Does anyone know of a solution for XSI that offers that?

But I wish Softimage would get on including one. It's such a shame to have to manipulate a 3d effect in a 2d app...

williamsburroughs
10-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Give Depth of Field Generator Pro a Try:
http://www.richardrosenman.com/dofpro.htm

You can use the demo to test it out.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.