PDA

View Full Version : ?estion: Parenting an Orient Locator.

Peace455
11-12-2002, 06:03 AM
I have a character i am rigging and I have a bone going from the bottom of his head to the top of his head, and I locator snapped into that joint, and an orient constraint on the locator to the Joint, so I can rotate the Locator to rotate the head.

It all worked lovely, until . . . I parented the Locator to the Same Bone that has the orient constrain on it, so that the locator will move with the model, and it parents but when I rotate the lcoator to rotate the head, it rotates the head but at an alarming and almost completely uncontrollable speed, It was quiet funny to see my models head spinning soo quickly as if he was possesed (gues thats my dark humor commin out).

Is there a way to remedy this so that the locator can mvoe with the model, or should I just parent this to actual model instead of the skeleton? Maybe I just answered my own question. Or an expression that would make the trranslation of that bone equal to the locator?

has anyone else run into this problem? and does this same problem occur with any object constrait to it, then is parented?

thanks

Peace455:buttrock:

sp0rk3d
11-12-2002, 08:44 AM
yeah that is no problem.... all you have to do is parent the locator to the joint above the head in the hierarchy... ie the top most neck joint... that will solve all your probs.... remmeber that you can NEVER parent a constrained object with its constrainer... Maya cannot calculate the extra rotation that the child locator was giving itself due its own orient constraint movine its parent in the hiararchy..... same thing with polevector constraints..... never parent to the joints int the IK chain ONLY outside the joint influenced by the IK
hope this helps... ;)

Peace455
11-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Thanks it helped a lot!!:D

peace

M.

Peace455
11-12-2002, 03:25 PM
I did what you suggested and still got the same comedic speedy rotation.

I have the neck joint, which has the orient constraint on it, and then there is one other joint that goes to the top of the head, I parented the locator to that joint, and rotated and still got that quick roation.

Did I do something wrong, or can it just not be parented to a joint, affected by a orient constrait either?

thanks

M.

kyo
11-18-2002, 04:24 PM
yeah you cannot parent it to a joint being controled by the constraint... so you would want to parent the control to the joint ABOVE it in the hierarchy, you might be confused by me saying above... i don't mean the top of the head i mean if select the joint being constrained, then press the up arrow on your keyboard you will get to the joint ABOVE it in the hierarchy probably a neck joint.... hope that helps...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.